• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smith or Ruger ?

I recently sold a Sport II and even more recently traded for an AR 556. The Smith was a decent rifle, the only thing that I didn't really care for was the bright and readily seen logo they had etched into the lower. The built in trigger guard made for a very ergo feel in the hand.

The AR 556
DSCF0800.JPG

The grip is very Magpul'ish and feels good and I like the curved trigger guard plate. No special stash plate.
DSCF0801.JPG

The Foward sight appears to be very nicely milled, but aluminum??? I am going to find a magnet and get back to you on if it's steel or aluminium. I'm not sure how it will hold up to my abusive nature, if it is aluminum.
DSCF0802.JPG

The QD port is a nice touch for an otherwise plain lug.
DSCF0803.JPG

Not the greatest photo but this shows the ring in the open position. "Don't over tighten the ring"
DSCF0804.JPG

Again, not that great of a photo, but as you can see, they are very generous with their logo.
The flip up is also very Magpul'ish, and no T-marks, if that matters to you.
DSCF0806.JPG

On some Rugers the pins that disassemble the upper from the lower would not push out easily for disassembly like they do on all other AR15s. This may have been an earlier production issue and they may have resolved this issue, but just something to check before taking one home.

Another item to be aware of the twist on a Smith is 1:9 and a much better 1:8 on the Ruger. Therefore the Ruger will stabilize all bullet weights much better than the Smith.

I would wait and save up the extra and buy a new Springfield Saint. You get a lot more weapon for just a little more money. Just make sure you like their proprietary handguard, as far as I know this has been the only thing that some people like while others do not.

Alexanders had these on special last weekend for $699.99. Maybe they may have them again in the future for that price. Personally the best price I have seen on them so far.

Back
Top Bottom