• Next ODT Gun Show - Nov 16, 2024! - Click here for info

Smith tactics received an F.

I decided against things like extended mag releases and BAD levers because I'm worried I'd drop the mag by accident at the wrong time... 😑

AR controls are pretty ergonomic as it is, comparatively.
I understand what you said and I agree. That bad lever though I think I’m sold on it though. We did a lot of mag changes with malfunctions with the timed event and it functioned flawless. Next event we’re doing a medical/run and gun. Working on shooting from the off hand and shooting with a tourniquet and reloading.

Guns are a great hobby. I’d wager that most of us started out over equipping everything and slowly but surely convert to a minimalist approach.

I think people that actually use their gear find what works and what doesn't more so than people that buy crap and post it on the internet or whatever. I have learned what brands work and what don't, and even learned to test individual components that make the whole. Not saying that things need to be minimalistic, but they need to be good things that work.

At this point my HD rifle has a can, dot, light, Ir Light/laser, and full mag of hornady. Every one of these things has been vetted by me over the last few years to not only work generally, but work as set up right now. Not exactly minimalist, but good enough for me.

I also think quality > quantity in the hobby is right for me.

I think people that actually use their gear find what works and what doesn't more so than people that buy crap and post it on the internet or whatever. I have learned what brands work and what don't, and even learned to test individual components that make the whole. Not saying that things need to be minimalistic, but they need to be good things that work.

At this point my HD rifle has a can, dot, light, Ir Light/laser, and full mag of hornady. Every one of these things has been vetted by me over the last few years to not only work generally, but work as set up right now. Not exactly minimalist, but good enough for me.

I’d still call it minimalist assuming you use the stuff.

Does lead to the question of what 'minimal' actually means.

In my case - anything I think I'm going to want to carry (i.e. might get used 'for real' - a non-fun-gun) might end up with a sight upgrade and maybe a trigger job. Wolff springs maybe.

Make sure the mags feed reliably. Use good ammo. That's about it really.

All my rifles and pistols have weapons lights. My rifles have a laser aswell. Zeroed all back up sights aswell. What’s really funny was I had a battery go out during the run and gun and ended up finishing with my back up sights. I truly believe in testing your gear.

Does lead to the question of what 'minimal' actually means.

In my case - anything I think I'm going to want to carry (i.e. might get used 'for real' - a non-fun-gun) might end up with a sight upgrade and maybe a trigger job. Wolff springs maybe.

Make sure the mags feed reliably. Use good ammo. That's about it really.
I think that question varies per person. In my opinion. Minimal means optic back up sight, upgraded grip for extra batteries storage, a weapon light and a sling.

Very fair - I was really referring to pistols, but your point stands.

Pistols gotcha. I agree with you. Those Gucci carry guns are not my style.

some of my go-to guns are actually equipped with trigger work, dots, lights, extended mags, etc. But I actually shoot them better/faster/more accurate than plane jane guns so it's silly not to carry what works best for the possible situation you'd need them in.

Back
Top Bottom