• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smith & Wesson 25/625 45 Long Colt Load Data?

Vincent Vega

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
438   0
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a definitive resource that can provide load data for a Smith & Wesson 25 or 625 in 45 Long Colt? I have a 625 and I'm pretty sure it can handle hotter loads than the standard loads for the 45 Long Colt.

My manuals have hotter loads for the Ruger series of revolvers. I would imagine the 25/625's would handle pressures somewhere in between the standard pressure and the hot Ruger loads. I'd love to hunt with it this Fall but feel like I need to push my Hornady 250 gr XTPs faster than 850 fps.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks ODT

I had a 25-5, traded it away, worse trade I ever made.

Be that as it may, I was an avid reloader, and I never saw any special data for the S&W.

The internals for the gun are designed for .45 ACP level loads and I never felt compelled try and hot rod the gun.

i don't think that you will blow up the gun with hotter loads, but I do think you will accelerate wear.

IMO the lack of published data sends a message.

I took a look at the published SAAMI pressure data: the 45 Long Colt is a lowly 14,000 CUP. For perspective the 45 ACP is 18,000 CUP and the 45 ACP +P is 23,000. A 38 Special is 18,000 and the 38 +P is 20,000. The 44 Mag is 40,000. The "Ruger" 45LC data published by Hodgdon tops out at 30,000 CUP.

https://saami.org/wp-content/upload...FP-and-R-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

It's hard to believe that the same N-Frame Smith that made Dirty Harry famous couldn't accommodate a higher pressure load for the 45 LC than the published SAAMI starndard. I'm sure it can but it's a shame that data isn't published. Am I missing something?

Lots of folks shoot .45 Super (and hotter) class loads from a 625, according to the gun boards. I don't own a 625, so I don't have any first hand knowledge. But I'd investigate that. You might could get another 200-300 fps out of a 230 gr. bullet. And you're not limited to bullets that will feed in an auto. But again, do your own due diligence. A 625 ain't disposable like a Glock.

I would not load Ruger/TC only loads in a S&W. Don't get me wrong, I am a big S&W fan, have more than any other brand. However, the S&W 25 is not as strong as a Ruger. I have seen more than one model 25 that has the cylinder and top strap blown off. Probably from a double charge though.

I do believe that a 25 can handle hotter than normal loads, but not Ruger level by no means. I don't know where to start though.

If not already, join https://www.go2gbo.com/. I am sure there are some guys on that there that have hopped up loads for the 25 and can give you some recommendations that are safe.

Rosewood

The S&W M29 was well known to beat itself up with full power .44 Mag loads.
The .45 has even thinner walls and the same internals that can't take that level of recoil for ever.
You could contact S&W.

Definitely DO NOT use the Blackhawk/Redhawk-only loads in the Models 25-5 & 625! You would "Loosen Up" a good Gun in short order...

Having said that, a few years ago Brian Pearce did an article in "Handloader" Magazine about this very subject--IIRC, he showed three different loads levels in .45 Colt--Those for Colt SAA's & such, loads for the 625 & then Ruger-level loads...If it was me, I'd look for that Article...HTH

The S&W M29 was well known to beat itself up with full power .44 Mag loads.
The .45 has even thinner walls and the same internals that can't take that level of recoil for ever.
You could contact S&W.

Well... the Model 29 no dash, dash 1, 2, 3, and 4s were known to get beat up by loads that are really .454 Casull-class loads-- 1300+ fps with 300 gr. bullets. Or so the legend goes. S&W had beefed up the problem areas by 1990 and -5, so that became far less of a concern, but it didn't make them into Rugers. (But hey, they're lighter, smaller and have far better triggers.) 29-7 introduced MIM parts and after that the stupid Hillary Hole. The smart move is to buy a 29-5 or 29-6, for greatest long-term value, especially if you intend to shoot it a lot. In my opinion anyway. If you're not going to pound it with lots of heavy loads, the earlier ones up to and including -2 had the recessed holes and are super nice guns.

Back
Top Bottom