• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoked deer

20170703_215258.jpg

Deer has brown sugar on it now, we sliced into chunks because sadly we defrosted too long... ham ended up getting bacon wrapped as well. Seasoned with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion power. Glaze is apple juice, honey, brown sugar, and butter.
20170703_210659.jpg

Pork butt with store bought rub and homemade injected sauce.

20170703_230823.jpg

Deer just hit 130 degrees, pulled of and put into an aluminum pan with the glaze inside, sealed up and put back on the smoker. This stuff is looking good smelling even better. @mudflap94 is a pretty good partner for this project.

Looking good.
I've tried a lot of different marinades for my venison and Lawry's Signature Steakhouse has been the best so far. I use it on my backstraps before I wrap them with bacon.

Ended up letting the meat sit in aluminum pans while on the smoke for between a hour and two hours with, the homemade glaze and a stick of butter in each pan. Turned out really good, the brown sugar sprinkled on top of the bacon gave it a sweet but Smokey taste before the glaze. The glaze is topped it off nicely. Needless to say it was a big hit. Next time I'm only gonna cook to medium rare/medium. They got to medium well but it was still tender and juicy (which I attribute to sitting in the pans closed with butter and the glaze).

Looking good! I gotta couple hams in the freezer screaming for the smoker. This is getting me motivated! Always like to bone the hams outs and stuff em with bacon and some vidalias.

I may have missed it but what wood did you use. I've used hickory and applewood and, personally, liked the results with applewood much better but am curious as to how everybody else does it.

Back
Top Bottom