• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoked Shrimp

I made these a couple nights ago and they were so freaking good, I made a double batch the next night again...

So this is a small cast iron pan. I used a pound of shrimp and I made a double layer in the pan. I tossed the shrimp in olive oil and this seasoning that I had combined with Old Bay Garlic flavor. The seasoning I picked up somewhere off the highway in Hilton Head so I'll have to pick up some more whenever I go back.

View attachment 4149524View attachment 4149525View attachment 4149526

I think they were in 250° for about 20 minutes or so if I remember right. Cast iron went in cold, I didn't preheat it.

The 2nd night I made a double batch--2lbs of shrimp and double layered them again in a bigger cast iron pan. I don't have finished pics bc I forgot lol. Same temp but the cooking time increased to probably 35 minutes or longer. I didn't keep track but I remember checking them a few times and they weren't done yet.

As a side note, I smoked a dry aged ribeye with olive oil, thyme, sage and rosemary...I completely overshot the mark (I like my steaks medium) but it was still pretty amazing. But the shrimp, OMG the shrimp...

View attachment 4149555View attachment 4149556View attachment 4149557
Why do I keep going back to this, just to look?? Oh that's right because it LOOKS FANTASTIC! Bet it tasted even better!

Were you able to find the Old Bay?
Negatory. I checked all the stores around here.
I just made up my own mix of spices using bay and cajun seasoning with a little garlic. Pretty pleased with the outcome but I'll tweak it a bit on the next batch. That's why I made a small dish to start with, didn't want to bugger up a whole mess of shrimp.

Negatory. I checked all the stores around here.
I just made up my own mix of spices using bay and cajun seasoning with a little garlic. Pretty pleased with the outcome but I'll tweak it a bit on the next batch. That's why I made a small dish to start with, didn't want to bugger up a whole mess of shrimp.
That sounds good! LMK if you need the Old Bay, I bought an extra can and I'll mail it to you if you want. Really though if you find a good seasoning blend, it's gonna be good bc the smoke is where it's at!

That sounds good! LMK if you need the Old Bay, I bought an extra can and I'll mail it to you if you want. Really though if you find a good seasoning blend, it's gonna be good bc the smoke is where it's at!
Thank you very much but I'm going to keep playing with the seasonings I have. I'll probably go ahead and order some of that and find something else in their catalog to make it worth the effort of ordering.
I already have an amazingly large collection of herbs and spices and I'm always experimenting with different mixtures looking for the golden mix.
The smoke is the flavor and you definitely don't want to overdo it on the shrimp.
Now I'm hungry again.

Thanks for this idea
I tried it yesterday, wife said no to putting iron skillet in the Smoker
pie plate worked fine
seasoned with Tony Chachere's Creole, diced garlic, little oil, lots of butter
19 minutes @ 300*

Tasted Great and will do again

278674051_1176701553075485_3821241132901024580_n.jpg

Thanks for this idea
I tried it yesterday, wife said no to putting iron skillet in the Smoker
pie plate worked fine
seasoned with Tony Chachere's Creole, diced garlic, little oil, lots of butter