• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoking meat with pecan wood questions.

3clicks_Off

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
389   0
Reaction score
I headed over to my moms today to pick up some large lower limbs, 8" or so, trimmed off a few of her Pecan trees.
Questions:
Is it good to smoke meat with?
Do I need to split it to season or season whole?
How long to season before using?
Do I remove the bark to season or after seasoning?

Thanks in advance

I headed over to my moms today to pick up some large lower limbs, 8" or so, trimmed off a few of her Pecan trees.
Questions:
Is it good to smoke meat with?
Do I need to split it to season or season whole?
How long to season before using?
Do I remove the bark to season or after seasoning?

Thanks in advance
I love pecan wood for smoking. Very mild flavor. If you can peel off the bark, do it, as it can add a bitter taste to the meat when it flares up.

Its great, but do remove the bark so it will burn slower and not flare up. Let it dry out a month or two....

I love pecan wood for smoking. Very mild flavor. If you can peel off the bark, do it, as it can add a bitter taste to the meat when it flares up.

That's what I was thinking on the bark issue, just was not 100% sure.
Guess I'll take a hatchet to it before splitting and try to remove bark while its green. I may have to let it dry a month or so to get it to pop off easier. About to find out

Pecan wood I heard is best for fish and chicken. I think hickory is best for pork and beef. But cut it in about 8 inch sections and half it up. And leave the bark on and let it set for about a month and a half. That should be seasoned enough. Then soak the wood in water before smoking I heard it does way better.

I did a Turkey last week with Pecan chips. Delicious.

20160315_144716.jpg

Yes it's good for cooking.
Pecan and Hickory are basically the same tree as far as the wood goes and are both from the Carya genus.
Some folks claim they can taste a difference but I cant.
If the limbs are 8" diameter (that's a pretty big limb) then I'd split it and season it if you're going to burn just wood, or chip it with a machete or hatchet if you're going to use it with charcoal.
As with any wood it's better to burn a little at a time hot than to put a bunch of wood in the smoker and choke out the fire by starving it of oxygen. A wood fire starved of oxygen makes a bitter smoke.
Good luck and smoke on!

I have cooked several pigs on a pit with pecan. Always seasoned and just put the coals from a fire outside of pit. Comes out great everytime

Back
Top Bottom