• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoking turkeys for the 1st time...

BillsCamino

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Wild Bill
689   0
Reaction score
Gonna try smoking two fresh, never frozen, turkeys on Thursday. Using a Masterbuilt 40" electric and a Maverick 733 dual probe. Turkeys weigh a little over 13 lbs each.
Suggestions????

Gonna try smoking two fresh, never frozen, turkeys on Thursday. Using a Masterbuilt 40" electric and a Maverick 733 dual probe. Turkeys weigh a little over 13 lbs each.
Suggestions????

Inject 'em.

Cajun Injector creole butter is some good stuff. Can find it at Kroger.

Also make a butter infused Coarse garlic spread with some fresh Rosemary, Lift the skin on the breast from the neck down and coat with that spread..Trust me it will be worth it..

Im not sure as the kind of smoker youre using...ive been used to one of the simple "dome" type / charcoal and water smoker. I smoke turkey about 3-4 times a year i guess.

Other than the spices and rubs, etc., suggested above...make sure you dont run out of water in your pan, keep the coals stoked well, use a good wood the first hour or two of putting meat on. If i use hickory or oak, i soak it in cheap whiskey the nstead of water....they make the Jack Daniels chips...made from the actual oak whiskey barrels, it works great!

Give it time, dont constantly lift the lid....every time you do it adds about 30-45 mins to time. Use the side door for adding coal/water.

Again- this is for the dome type smokers.
Good luck!

Brine, you need to brine......

IMG_1199.JPG

I have three that I use depending on what I am going to smoke. For Turkey I stand them up in a volcano tower, and spritz with apple juice, for butts, shoulders and quarters I use a reverse flow slow smoke..And for fish and Jerky I use a Master built, fluid dish is filled with apple juice with the Jerky only..The fish sits in a brine for 12 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom