• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoking turkeys for the 1st time...

I have deep fried em, smoked em, injected em, rubbed em, stuffed em, quartered em and baked em. The best turkey I ever ate was brined for a couple of days, Butter placed under the skin, and cooked in the oven on a rack and cooked to the exact doneness using a meat thermometer. For smoking I suggest the brining, your favorite seasonings on the outside and lay some thick cut bacon on top. I usually place a pork butt on top rack to drip over the turkey instead of the bacon. Brine, Brine , if nothing else, just saltwater

One year had a 20+lber on the egg and a guest came out to look..He commented that he really did not like Turkey smoked..Claimed it was dry!! Well you can guess what I did,,,,,,,,,,I lifted the lid on the Camotta and stuck the breast with a slicing fork..Yes it did shoot out a stream that crossed his fancy shirt..I said yep and closed the lid...Then just popped the top off another Corona with a smile.:D:hungry:

Gonna try smoking two fresh, never frozen, turkeys on Thursday. Using a Masterbuilt 40" electric and a Maverick 733 dual probe. Turkeys weigh a little over 13 lbs each.
Suggestions????
I have been smoking turkeys on my home made grill for 10 years and friends bring them to me for the holidays. I do not do anything fancy, just take the bird rub with creole seasoning and paprika and any other urbs you desire. I put one dumping of the paper starter charcoal starter on one side and put turkey on the other , add a lb of charcoal in about a coupe hours and keep it closed. You can add pecan chips if desired but I only open the lid two times once to add extra charcoal and once to get the cooked bird. They come out golden brown and juicy

I put a brine together for mine!
FB_IMG_1479686782943.jpg

Doing a 21lb turkey on the BGE this year, had one last year and it was off the chain but I forgot the recipe. :( Here's what I am thinking

Wed afternoon
Remove giblets, fill cavity with cut onions, oranges, apples, sage, and thyme
Saltwater brine

Thursday am
Inject turkey with Creole
Platesetter with legs up, aluminum pan with apple juice on platesetter under turkey
Turkey on a stand (I'm thinking beer can stand type) but can't find one that holds a turkey that big
Cook 4-5 hours on indirect heat around 300

What am I missing? Any suggestions?

Doing a 21lb turkey on the BGE this year, had one last year and it was off the chain but I forgot the recipe. :( Here's what I am thinking

Wed afternoon
Remove giblets, fill cavity with cut onions, oranges, apples, sage, and thyme
Saltwater brine

Thursday am
Inject turkey with Creole
Platesetter with legs up, aluminum pan with apple juice on platesetter under turkey
Turkey on a stand (I'm thinking beer can stand type) but can't find one that holds a turkey that big
Cook 4-5 hours on indirect heat around 300

What am I missing? Any suggestions?

Sounds good to me! About the only thing I would add would be a rub on that bird. All over the outside and under the skin where you can.

Sounds good to me! About the only thing I would add would be a rub on that bird. All over the outside and under the skin where you can.

Would you rub and then brine? I would think that would wash it off so maybe brine then rub...

Oh, and I just remembered I used a VRack with breast down, not a vertical rack.

Back
Top Bottom