• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Snake bites?

Growing up in Texas, I had more close encounters with rattlers than I care to recall. Only got bitten once, and didn't realize what had happened until it started to hurt. I had taken a short cut through an overgrown vacant lot, felt the sting, bit there were thorny plants and thought a thorn or cactus needle had gotten through my jeans. Once it started hurting pretty bad, I rolled up my pants leg to see what was going on. I had 2 bloody marks, about 3/4 of an inch apart, with surrounding swelling/raised flesh. At the doctor's office, they gave me an injection between the fang marks of anti-venom, and watched me for about 1/2 hour to make sure I wasn't allergic to the anti-venom. Evidently if you are allergic, it can kill you. The flesh around the bite mark turned dark, like a deep bruise, but went away in a few days.

What if you in woods 4 miles from truck then what
Do you do

Same thing you would do if you get bit in your yard, which is stay calm and try to get to help. Getting bit by a snake here in North America isn't a death sentence for most. I would worry about getting stung by bees, wasps, or yellow jackets more so than getting bit by a snake.

Yellow Jackets suck! 3 years in a row I have been lit up by them. This year it was 40 or so stings and a visit to the urgent care. Hate the bastards. Sure there are copperheads around but haven't had any issues with them mainly due to leaving the king snakes alone...

Back
Top Bottom