• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Snake bites?

Talk about a scare. Glad your son is okay. A member was bitten a year or two ago. I remember he got a big bill for the anti-venom too.

Daughter turns 3 in October so that really hits home. My brother lives in AL and frequently takes his boys swimming at a nearby creek.

I'm paranoid about snakes and thankfully haven't had any close calls. If I was alone in the woods I would have to be careful not to get lost from watching the ground all the time.

Don't waste money on the suction kits. They can make things worse. Best treatment is keeping the victim calm, identifying the type of snake, and getting the victim to a hospital. Often times, a venomous snake will dry bite in a defensive situation. Clean the bite area, checking for venom around the fang marks. Most of the time it will be a yellowish color. Loosely bandage the area and seek medical treatment. Very few people die of snakebite in this country, and most that do did not get treatment in time or had a pre-existing condition that stress and the venom were simply too much to overcome. So glad it worked out well for you!

Talk about a scare. Glad your son is okay. A member was bitten a year or two ago. I remember he got a big bill for the anti-venom too.

Daughter turns 3 in October so that really hits home. My brother lives in AL and frequently takes his boys swimming at a nearby creek.

I'm paranoid about snakes and thankfully haven't had any close calls. If I was alone in the woods I would have to be careful not to get lost from watching the ground all the time.
The late great Pooh-Bear got bit about 10 yrs ago. That cost us a grand, I can only imagine what a human bill would be.

Wow good job handling the situation and keeping your son safe. That's always one of my biggest fears in the woods with my boys. I've replayed that what if scenario a hundred times. Thank God it's never happened. We spend a lot of time in the woods.

I just can't imagine seeing those marker lines on my boys. (google snake bite pics). But atleast I have a game plan now. I appreciate everybody's advice. We never know when trouble or the end will show up; another reason to emphasize living for the Man.

As said above, snake bite kits do more harm than good. Find out what kind of snake it was. Keep who ever get's bit as calm as possible and try to keep the heart rate down to slow the spread of venom and get them to the hospital for antivenom immediately. Glad it turn out as good as it did, that's some scary stuff.

Snake bite kits and tourniquets are a no go. Seek medical treatment. Glad it worked out. My oldest son stepped over a Pygmy rattler decades ago. Only victim we had was a dog. Copperhead. Gave her children’s benedryl and she was good to go in 3 days.

nothing can be done for a snake bite other than to compression wrap the area and to slowly and calmly get to an emergency room faster than a mother ****er

glad your boy is ok and nice stick work yourself brother

If you’re on Facebook, join the National snakebite support page. They have some good info for unified algorithms of treatment, both for people and pets.

The Benadryl myth has been floating around lately and it’s simply not indicated for envenomation- neither for people or pets. There is no histamine reaction in a pit viper envenomation.

Never use a tourniquet.

Time is critical- the sooner antivenin is administered, the better.

Don’t really need to try to identify the snake unless in an area with coral snakes as the same antivenin is used for all North American pit vipers.

As many of the others have said, there is no effective snake bite “kit.”

No ice.

Simply put, get to the hospital as fast as possible.

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Sn...sViDehbLLo6Z9kNGRdNaG7SLjjD3DtO1b5du7l_CxTu3F

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Pr...P_qV-oBYEJyzBFMY_nRWd-opg1YSDc4uLZJyn7hM1otlF

https://www.facebook.com/groups/987850051297436/?ref=share

Back
Top Bottom