• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Snakes are out - FYI

If I get the notion, I catch snakes to get a better look (venomous and non-venomous). Mostly, I just leave them alone. I eat anything I kill.

no such thing as a poisonous snake

there are venomous snakes, its a huge difference

Please explain the difference. Whether hemotoxic, neurotoxic, etc. Its still poisonous to the human body in particular the cells that it is designed to destroy. I think that poisonous is more of a colloquialism for venomous but to say its not poisonous isn't necessarily true.

Had to hoe up a two foot rattler about eight feet out the back door this evening. Came strolling out of the house, scared the crap out of me.

Please explain the difference. Whether hemotoxic, neurotoxic, etc. Its still poisonous to the human body in particular the cells that it is designed to destroy. I think that poisonous is more of a colloquialism for venomous but to say its not poisonous isn't necessarily true.
venom is injected through fangs (and the glands in the fangs)

poison is secreted from glands

you will never see a herpetologist or any credible scientific source refer to them as poisonous

That's my rule. Dad made me dress and cook a Robin one time, I learned my lesson.

my dad was explaining the rules of gun safety when a few of my friends were over for paintball

he told a bunch of 13 and 14 year olds his take on gun safety, and i qoute

"im a firm believer that anything you shoot you have to eat.............i really dont want anyone to break into my house...."

and he left it at that

venom is injected through fangs (and the glands in the fangs)

poison is secreted from glands

you will never see a herpetologist or any credible scientific source refer to them as poisonous
From Miriam-Webster:
Poison- 1a : a substance that through its chemical action usually kills, injures, or impairs an organism
b (1) : something destructive or harmful (2) : an object of aversion or abhorrence
Venom- 1: poisonous matter normally secreted by some animals (as snakes, scorpions, or bees) and transmitted to prey or an enemy chiefly by biting or stinging; broadly . material that is poisonous
That pc crap about "not poisonous, they're venomous" is just that, crap. See how someone would might just be able to construe that a cobra, copperhead, water moccasin, rattler would be POISONOUS to them...

That's my rule. Dad made me dress and cook a Robin one time, I learned my lesson.

That's a good approach. Sounds like something my father would have done. Bagged a bunch of squirrels this last season and one of the first things he asked me is "what'd you do with them?" am I'm 32 years old.

Last edited:
From Miriam-Webster:
Poison- 1a : a substance that through its chemical action usually kills, injures, or impairs an organism
b (1) : something destructive or harmful (2) : an object of aversion or abhorrence
Venom- 1: poisonous matter normally secreted by some animals (as snakes, scorpions, or bees) and transmitted to prey or an enemy chiefly by biting or stinging; broadly . material that is poisonous
That pc crap about "not poisonous, they're venomous" is just that, crap. See how someone would might just be able to construe that a cobra, copperhead, water moccasin, rattler would be POISONOUS to them...
i didnt realize biology was affected by PC

and they are venomous

http://www.snakeman1982.com/Venomous vs. Poisonous.asp

http://www.preservevenomous.com/Venom_Vs_Poison/Venom_Vs_Poison.htm

the second link has a very good explanation

to sum it up though, the way a venom works is it has to be injected into the blood stream, ingesting venom dampens its affects and generally doesnt do what it was designed to do. poison acts through direct contact, and moves passively through ones body, generally through the epithelial layer of a given tissue. with something like POISON ivy, it is an irritant. if it is ingested, it is an irritant along the squamous epithelial lining of the esephogus, or in terms of being poisoned via gas, affects the lungs via alveolar epithelial contact then onto the blood stream

venom is directly injected into bloodstream

there is the difference. its the same as calling a clip a magazine in gun culture, except this is for the biology community

Back
Top Bottom