• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Snakes are out - FYI

So true. Came across large copperhead near the water as I was trying to get a errant golf ball. Starting laughing about it with the guys and nearly stepped directly on a second one. If I hit in there again, I'm hitting a second ball period and the snakes can keep the ball..

Nice to see so many real outdoorsmen that realize snakes are best left alone rather than killed. And also nice that it was mentioned that killing harmless species is illegal.

As much as I like to play devil's advocate: lots of "real outdoors-men" would let a venomous (which are not harmless) snake they see in their back yard live, but will blow the head off a squirrel (harmless) with a .22 "just for fun".

Back on subject: I am not a fan of snakes, but I also don't feel they deserve to die just b/c they are snakes. THAT BEING SAID, I love my dogs more than I love most humans, and If anything that would even remotely pose a threat to them lands in their play area, which happens to be my fenced in yard...its getting killed. Don't care how "beautiful" a venomous snake can be, it needs to take its business elsewhere or face DEATH. I have just enough understanding of them to know which are bad, and which just need to be flung over the fence back into the woods, so i'm not gonna go out and just kill everything I see slither in the grass.

And yet again, since I love to play devil's advocate: for all the snake lovers bashing on the snake killers for being "ignorant" Nobody here has to like the same things you do. I'm sure you all are also guilty of doing something you are "ignorant" for also.

-Carlo

oh, absolutely. I love snakes, but Human and pet life always comes first in my book. I try not to scold people for killing snakes. It is important to remember that in most studies that I have seen, Snakes rank higher than Death in terms of people's fears. I try to educate as much as I can and TRY not to be condescending or preachy, although sometimes I fail.

Back
Top Bottom