• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So, AR15 guru's...

SirBannedAlot

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
171   0
Reaction score
So, AR15 experts, 10.5 Barrel from Faxxon, pistol config. Carbine length gas system, with an Anderson .750 gas block, perfectly centered and seated. Anderson BCG, Anderson lower with an Aero upper and LPK, UTG Pro lightweight mlok rail, Midwest industries, milspec pistol buffer tube and buffer, SBA3...

Gun runs and cycles fine with 5.56 ammo like XM193. But with either of the two brands of .223 I tried(American Eagle and Norma TAC223, both in 55gr) the .223 fails to cycle about 50% of the time. It will chamber when I drop the bolt manually, and fire properly after feeding a round, but about 50% of the time it will eject a round and fail to grab the next one and click on an empty chamber, or, it will grab a round but it goes in crooked and jams with the round at an angle.

5.56, no issues at all, anywhere. Fires and cycles 100%.

Tried different mags, same result. 556 always works, 223 fails 50% of the time.

Tried testing the bolt lock back, by putting a single round in the mag and firing it and seeing if the bolt locks back on an empty mag.

With 5.56 it locks back every single time. With .223 it almost never locks back.

This indicates to me that the system is not getting enough gas pressure. The 5.56 is enough to cycle it back all the way, hence why it feeds correctly and also locks back on the empty mag... And the lower pressure .223 does not.

Checked alignment of the gas block and it's dead on balls straight and fully seated. Cycling the gun manually with the charging handle, nothing seems off. Nothing seems to be binding, etc...

I feel like the most likely culprit is the gas block and will try a different one. I don't feel like it is the recoil buffer, that is standard milspec stuff and felt the same as my other ARs.

Being that it operates 100% with 5.56 ammo, I feel like I can eliminate the buffer and BCG, etc...?

Anything else to inspect? Never had an AR with this issue.. or any issues really, they tend to be simple and flawless.

I could just use 5.56 in it, but I don't want to have to track what ammo is in what mags if I grabbed one in a hurry. I would also prefer to "gas" the gun for the worst case scenario, which is .223 ammunition... It it runs that, it will run 5.56. If it runs 5.56, it might not always run .223, apparently.

Barrel is chambered for .223 Wylde...

Thoughts?

Where did you get the buffer and spring? Are you 100% it a standard carbine and not something heavier?

What’s it weigh?

The gas block hole may not be lined up really well with the hole in the barrel. Do you have another gas block you can try? I think the 5.56 has a little more "umph" than 223 right?

I will go out hunting for a new gas block tomorrow, will see what local shops have on hand... Might as well replace the gas tube as well, as those are cheap and I should eliminate that from the equation...

You say the block is aligned... you’re talking angular I presume.. what about forward and aft? It could be occluding the hole that way a bit.

Some manufacturers of gas blocks fail to account for the lack of a handguard cap... and the block needs to be indexed a bit off the shoulder of the gas block shoulder.

You say the block is aligned... you’re talking angular I presume.. what about forward and aft? It could be occluding the hole that way a bit.

Some manufacturers of gas blocks fair to account for the lack of a handguard cap... and the block needs to be indexed a bit off the shoulder of the gas block shoulder.

It is perfectly straight, that I am sure of, but it is up tight against the shoulder. There is no gap. How can I tell if it needs a gap? How would one measure it? Remove the block and look at the carbon pattern around the hole in the barrel and see if it looks funny, or not in a perfect circle?

Back
Top Bottom