• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So, AR15 guru's...

Ok, so here is what we found so far.

1) Carbon pattern on the gas port was fine, gas block is ok as is tube, all measured, checked and reinstalled.
2) Bolt inspected, rings are staggered as they should be, nothing is binding.
3) Key is tight and staked properly
4) Everyone moves easy, no binding, etc...
5) Gas port is fine, checked the size, it's in spec and not obstructed.

So what was recommended to me by the guy at NPR Ammo, as well as a customer that was listening to us talk, was to try a heavier buffer.

They didn't have any in stock, so when I went to Dead Center in Buford to see if they had one, I talked to Van, and he mentioned to me that after I left yesterday, the same thing occurred to him. That if the buffer is too light, then the pressure could push the bolt back a split second too soon, before enough pressure builds, making it push the buffer back kinda weak... A heavier buffer would slow it down a tad, allowing more pressure to build, so when it does slam back, it does so more forcefully and should cycle better and not short stroke. They all said, 5.56 being a higher pressure round, might have enough pressure even if it is coming out of battery a fraction of a second faster than it should... And so it might function while 223 might not.

Everything else on the gun seems in spec and fine, so I figured why not give it a try, and picked up an H2 marked buffer and will head to the range later today and see how it functions. I will also take both the buffer and my DD BCG from a rifle that I know is good, just to see if they were to make any difference. Process of elimination, but with any luck, the heavier buffer will slow things down enough that the .223 has time to build up more pressure... The heavier bolt should also help when firing 5.56, as it was already getting scored up from the BCG when firing it.

I will report back on what happens when I get it to the range.

Just my .02 cents
- I also concur the carrier speed may be too fast and you may need a heavier buffer (I’ve had this issue with shorter barrel builds due to less dwell time in the past) however if this is true you’ll typically have failure of the bolt to lock back on the last round of a mag
-I’ve also seen issue with gas blocks having different size ports as an example I did a build awhile back and had to swap from a DD gas block to an aero gas block and the size of the ports was visibly different.
-lastly I would always suggest dimpling the barrel even if it is just a single dimple for the screw under the gas port, if you don’t own the jig you can make one from an old gas block using a tap and die set

Had an almost identical issue with a 16" Faxon barrel. After drilling gas port from 0.072" to 0.093", per info from Mark at Faxon Firearms, rifle cycled as it should. Was horribly undergassed with the original gas port size. Mark from Faxon said I could send it to them and they would make the adjustment but I chose to drill it myself. You might want to check in with Faxon. My only Faxon 10.5 is 0.08".

Check the sides of the gas block and handguard near where the roll pin holds the tube in place, if you find carbon build up you may be loosing gas through that hole it sounds odd but I have seen it happen before as well

I would try a proven BCG in it, as well.

Well, I already have a light buffer, the one it had issues with at 2 7/8 oz... I am gonna try the H2 buffer shortly after my meeting ends and I can run down to the range...

I have a Daniel Defense BCG I can take with me, and I will take the buffer out of my rifle that I know works in that gun... that way I have two buffers to try, both BCG's, etc...

I will bring the buffer, buffer spring and BCG from my other gun with me. One thing I noticed is that the spring in the pistol is about 3/4 of an inch longer than the other one, and pulling back the charging handle, the pistol seems stiffer. Not too stiff, and maybe that is because the other one has more rounds through it so it is more worn in... But I can feel a difference. The guys at the range felt it and said it was fine and not too stiff. giggity...

Had an almost identical issue with a 16" Faxon barrel. After drilling gas port from 0.072" to 0.093", per info from Mark at Faxon Firearms, rifle cycled as it should. Was horribly undergassed with the original gas port size. Mark from Faxon said I could send it to them and they would make the adjustment but I chose to drill it myself. You might want to check in with Faxon. My only Faxon 10.5 is 0.08".

The guy said he measured my barrel and it was 0.081... sounds like its fine?

Back
Top Bottom