• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So how many folks got a call from the Postal Inspector lately?

In this "possession of stolen property" case, the Court approves of the prosecution's argument that the lack of a bill of sale or receipt for a commercial icemaker is allowed to be used in court to help prove the criminal intent of the accused-- it's part of the suspicious circumstances of the deal.

(of course there were several things suspicious here, some we all agree would be even more incriminating than the seller not writing out a bill of sale or receipt. But that was one bit of evidence the State could and did use to get a conviction. Even though there was no law saying restaurant equipment sold between private parties had to be done with some written record or receipt.)

Failing to see the correlation.

The lack of bos in this was simply an additional nail in the coffin. Providing one would have changed nothing in this over 7 decade old case.

1659096960202.png

I've already told this story once and a few of you told me that I was lying. But this is the God's honest truth I swear. I had sold a 1911 on here and the address that I shipped it to didn't have anything to do with the gun shop it was shipped to such and such Lumber Company. Well the place was an Ace Hardware that had a gun shop but that wasn't listed on the box where I was shipping it to. I take it all the right steps packed it in a box that had no identification on it that it was a handgun and I sent it Priority Mail Express. After I shipped it the day after I get a call from the ATF wanting to pick a place to meet me. Well we arranged the place after about 45 minutes I met them at a local grocery store that I visit frequently which is about 15 minutes away. The ATF opened up the package and wanted to know why I was sending a handgun to a place that that wasn't a registered FFL. I told them that it was a registered FFL and the guy I was sending it to was on vacation for the week. I offered the number he gave me and we called that number right there while we're all together and I put it on speaker phone. I asked the gentleman who answered do you guys have an FFL on premises and he replied " yes we do but the man who is in charge of that is on vacation for the week." After we had verified the ATF was indeed satisfied that the FFL was at the location I was shipping to they said everything was okay but they did say I could not send ammunition with the gun. So I took the ammunition out and the ATF agents said that they would return the package to the shipper and they would pack tape it back up and get the package sent out to where it was going. Now how in the heck would they know that there's a gun in that package. That just goes to show you that whatever you ship there are prying eyes or X-ray machines present scanning every package. If that's not invasion of privacy I don't know what is!

I've already told this story once and a few of you told me that I was lying. But this is the God's honest truth I swear. I had sold a 1911 on here and the address that I shipped it to didn't have anything to do with the gun shop it was shipped to such and such Lumber Company. Well the place was an Ace Hardware that had a gun shop but that wasn't listed on the box where I was shipping it to. I take it all the right steps packed it in a box that had no identification on it that it was a handgun and I sent it Priority Mail Express. After I shipped it the day after I get a call from the ATF wanting to pick a place to meet me. Well we arranged the place after about 45 minutes I met them at a local grocery store that I visit frequently which is about 15 minutes away. The ATF opened up the package and wanted to know why I was sending a handgun to a place that that wasn't a registered FFL. I told them that it was a registered FFL and the guy I was sending it to was on vacation for the week. I offered the number he gave me and we called that number right there while we're all together and I put it on speaker phone. I asked the gentleman who answered do you guys have an FFL on premises and he replied " yes we do but the man who is in charge of that is on vacation for the week." After we had verified the ATF was indeed satisfied that the FFL was at the location I was shipping to they said everything was okay but they did say I could not send ammunition with the gun. So I took the ammunition out and the ATF agents said that they would return the package to the shipper and they would pack tape it back up and get the package sent out to where it was going. Now how in the heck would they know that there's a gun in that package. That just goes to show you that whatever you ship there are prying eyes or X-ray machines present scanning every package. If that's not invasion of privacy I don't know what is!

Just an FYI if you do not have a FFL you are lucky you didnt catch a charge shipping a pistol through the postal service especially with ammo....

I’m sticking to my guns that not every package is x-rayed, many are, and many are screened for explosives. Yours was probably screened for explosives by machine, or by a K-9, they got a “hit”, and took it for further screening, which the first step would be to x-ray the package. I’ve done this process myself many times. I’ve screened literally tens of thousands of packages with my K-9, prior to them being placed on a passenger or cargo plane. I certainly don’t have information on every post office in the country, nor every airport in the country. While there is the possibility that every package is being x-rayed, I just don’t believe it. The logistics are phenomenally complicated. To screen every package over 16oz as prescribed by Congress, will take a tremendous amount of time. Here’s why.

Let’s say you have 50 pallets scheduled to go out on the next cargo plane from ATL to Denver. Now let’s say there are 30 packages on each pallet. That’s 1,500 packages. Each pallet must be taken to the x-ray machine, broken down, each package placed onto the x-ray conveyor belt, run through the machine, stopped, the video screen is inspected to look for irregularities, if clear, then the package is pushed out. The package is then put back on the pallet with the 29 other packages and reassembled. The pallet is then moved to wait to be put on the truck, to be transported to the airplane. The fastest that would be accomplished, per package, is about 1 minute, not including break down and reassembly of the pallet. . Best case scenario, that’s 25 hours of work, which is not feasible. So, how do they get the packages screened properly?

They primarily use 2 tools, wanding and K-9s. Let’s look at wanding first. Wanding is done much the same as x-raying, the pallet is taken to a location where it is unpacked and placed on a conveyor. An agent will use a wand with a piece of cloth on it and wipe the cloth over all sides and edges of each package. This is done with several packages, then the cloth is placed into a machine that scans it for explosives. If negative, the packages are put back on the pallet and when all are done and back on the pallet, the pallet is moved to wait to be put on a truck, to be taken to the airplane. This whole process, for the entire pallet takes about 10 minutes, from beginning to end, a lot faster than x-ray, and pretty damn accurate. (If the machine indicates the presence of an explosive residue, that group of packages is then x-rayed for further inspection.)

Now K-9s. As most of you know, a K-9, depending on the breed, has about 100x more olfactory cells as a human does, so their sense of smell is unrivaled compared to humans. One of the ways K-9 are used is like this…A K-9 is brought to the pallet containing 50 packages and goes around the pallet, in a specific pattern, and ”sniffs” for the presence of an explosive odor. If no odor is detected, the pallet is moved to wait to be put on the plane. This process takes approximately 30-45 seconds per pallet. So, a K-9 can search a pallet incredibly faster than the above screening processes. About 1 hour for the 50 pallets described above. If the K-9 indicates, the pallet is broken down and every package is x-rayed. This process is so accurate and so fast that the US Government spent in upwards of $60 Million to duplicate it, but couldn’t come up with a machine anywhere near as accurate as a K-9. Each K-9 must be certified by TSA with 100% accuracy. Meaning they cannot miss a single explosive training aid. One miss and they lose their certification and have to go back thorough retraining. This certification is done every month by the K-9 and handler.

That’s why I believe not every package is x-rayed, it’s not feasible.

You left out the part about the ATF agents deep menacing voice over the phone, that was my favorite part from last time.

Back
Top Bottom