• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So I bought a Jeep. Now what?

It depends on what you call "trail ride". If you really mean Forestry Service roads, it's perfectly OK as is maybe up the tire size a bit; whatever will fit. Add a set of jumper cables, fire extinguisher, 12 volt compressor big enough to inflate truck tires in less than an hour, and a set of basic tools. Carry a few bottles of water, rain gear, gloves, e-tool or shovel, and maybe a tarp and blanke, and enjoy. Now you're ready to help yourself and others.

If you want to carry stuff on top (canoe, kayak, lumber from Home Depot), then add racks.

If you want to be really prepared, then add extraction equipment: Jerk straps, tree protectors, shackles, maybe a chain or two, a large come-a-long, maybe even a decent saw and hatchet. This will get you out of the occasional "oopsie". Personally, I would avoid buying the nearly ubiquitous Hi-Lift jack. I personally don't find them as useful as they are hyped to be, but that's me.

If you start to get 'serious' then add a winch first, then lockers. Lockers can get you out, or they can get you REALLY stuck, so having the winch first is a good idea. When it starts to get really rough, add rock sliders. At this point you should be running trails with a group; people who have a lot of experience and can point you into the right direction for mods.

THEN, if you've found that the Jeep itself is the limiting factor, add a lift and larger tires. Lifting a coil sprung Jeep isn't as simple or cheap as you might think. A good lift that won't crumple under real use can be expensive. Don't forget that may include new shocks, springs, brake lines, drive line mods, etc. Bigger tires may require regearing, front and rear.

Or, just ignore all this and put bumpers, a winch, a huge lift and 35's, and brag about "trail runnin' " on dirt roads. Then don't forget to mount a Hi-Lift jack across the hood and a big LED light bar across the roof. It will look GOOD parked at the mall.
Great info. Thanks! I’m looking at timber falls in Bowman GA and Curahee mountain.

My Jeep has been great. 2017 unlimited with factory tow package. Its been out west three times towing a small camper. I was able to go to remote places that the crowds couldn't make.

I use it as a daily commuter, farm truck, work truck, Sunday driver, delivery truck ( using a utility trailer) I've even pulled my stuck tractor out with it. Of course I've done many trails.

Mine is stock. The only things I'd recommend are good tires, a good sound system and back up camera. I didn't go down the mods road. It is quite capable as built. I think jeeps sometimes get a bad rap due to how much people modify them. Keep it simple, drive it smart on the trails.

I did a mud hole once. It was fun for 5 minutes but 3 years later I am still finding mud packed into places. Never again.

132,000 miles of hard work, long distance travel while towing, and a lot of fun. I've only had to change a thermostat, shocks and a wheel bearing/axle seal. I get about 20-22 MPG mixed use, keeping in mind my 50 mile one way commute is mostly interstate.
Good info. Thanks!

My Jeep has been great. 2017 unlimited with factory tow package. Its been out west three times towing a small camper. I was able to go to remote places that the crowds couldn't make.

I use it as a daily commuter, farm truck, work truck, Sunday driver, delivery truck ( using a utility trailer) I've even pulled my stuck tractor out with it. Of course I've done many trails.

Mine is stock. The only things I'd recommend are good tires, a good sound system and back up camera. I didn't go down the mods road. It is quite capable as built. I think jeeps sometimes get a bad rap due to how much people modify them. Keep it simple, drive it smart on the trails.

I did a mud hole once. It was fun for 5 minutes but 3 years later I am still finding mud packed into places. Never again.

132,000 miles of hard work, long distance travel while towing, and a lot of fun. I've only had to change a thermostat, shocks and a wheel bearing/axle seal. I get about 20-22 MPG mixed use, keeping in mind my 50 mile one way commute is mostly interstate.
Jeeps are a lot like Glocks the ones you see folks having problems with are normally the ones that folks who didnt know what they were doing fooled with. I would say enjoy it as it is and if you see need for change then change it.

Great info. Thanks! I’m looking at timber falls in Bowman GA and Curahee mountain.
I don't know timber falls, but I've driven up the road to Curahee mountain more than a few times. Your Jeep will do it as-is with no trouble. Just a little ground clearance is all you need. My 4Runner on 31's is over built for it - a factory pickup or SUV is plenty. Heck, I've seen Honda Civics parked up there.

I don't know timber falls, but I've driven up the road to Curahee mountain more than a few times. Your Jeep will do it as-is with no trouble. Just a little ground clearance is all you need. My 4Runner on 31's is over built for it - a factory pickup or SUV is plenty. Heck, I've seen Honda Civics parked up
My jeep has the factory 265/70-17’s and they’re dry rotted. Gonna put on some 285/75-17’s and call it good. I’ll put a winch on it eventually since it has a winch bumper.

Jeeps are a lot like Glocks the ones you see folks having problems with are normally the ones that folks who didnt know what they were doing fooled with. I would say enjoy it as it is and if you see need for change then change it.
Jeeps wil have problems regardless of the owner knowing or not knowing what they’re doing…lol.
I tell people anything will run forever as long as you fix it when it breaks.

Lift it up 24", throw some over-sized tires and after-market wheels, put led lights on it top and bottom all around. Get a new stereo and don't forget the amp and 20" speaker boxes. After all that sell it to recoup your money

Lift it up 24", throw some over-sized tires and after-market wheels, put led lights on it top and bottom all around. Get a new stereo and don't forget the amp and 20" speaker boxes. After all that sell it to recoup your money
Already sold it. Recouped most of my money. It wasn’t what I hoped it would be.

Back
Top Bottom