• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So I can buy a handgun in another state just like a long gun?

The case is now styled as "MANCE v. LYNCH" since we have a new U.S. Attorney General now that Holder has resigned.
The ruling from a trial-level judge of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas doesn't mean anything outside of that district.
If the 5th Circuit rules on it, then that ruling might apply nationwide (in theory, it should), or more likely it won't be recognized as valid law anywhere but the 5th Circuit.
Here in Georgia, we are in the 11th Circuit of the U.S. Court of Appeals. Our federal judges here don't give any consideration to what they do in other circuits.
Consider, for example, how a gun-rights group out in Idaho won their fight over the Corps of Engineers gun ban, and our side (Georgia Carry.Org) cited that in our lawsuit here in Georgia, and the federal courts so far have shrugged their shoulders and said "Oh, well. That's there. We're here. No guns on federal Corps land. Guns are dangerous and dam security is important."

Here in Georgia, we are in the 11th Circuit of the U.S. Court of Appeals. Our federal judges here don't give any consideration to what they do in other circuits.
Consider, for example, how a gun-rights group out in Idaho won their fight over the Corps of Engineers gun ban, and our side (Georgia Carry.Org) cited that in our lawsuit here in Georgia, and the federal courts so far have shrugged their shoulders and said "Oh, well. That's there. We're here. No guns on federal Corps land. Guns are dangerous and dam security is important."

So with improvements in modern defensive ammo, does the COE think 9mm/.40/.45 are all equally capable of bringing down a dam with two or three shots? I am fishing around dams frequently in the winter and I have yet to notice a bullet hole in any of them. If the concern is someone gaining access to dam control rooms by force, I seriously doubt this would be done by legal GWCL holders. The gun ban isn't going to prevent that.

This Corps of Engineers gun ban has stuck in my craw for many, many years. It's so freakin' childish. COE ramps can be dangerous places early in the morning, and not just from 2 legged critters. I know of a guide who has launched at a GA lake early in the morning and have had Black Bears charge across the ramp area. No attacks or anything (the bear was probably more freaked out than he was), but he climbed in the boat and waited until the coast was clear.

I comply with the ban on COE lakes because the penalties can be so severe, but there are a lot of times I've seen folks in vehicles cruising these ramp areas early in the morning, turn around and leave once they see someone is watching, and it's obvious they aren't there to go fishing. At these times I feel weird not having a weapon on me. Especially when I'm fishing the area where James Dickey had his moonshiner encounter that sparked him to write "Deliverance". :D

Yeah, time for this stupid COE law to be reversed once and for all. It's long overdue. There, I feel better now - pardon my rant.

So with improvements in modern defensive ammo, does the COE think 9mm/.40/.45 are all equally capable of bringing down a dam with two or three shots? I am fishing around dams frequently in the winter and I have yet to notice a bullet hole in any of them. If the concern is someone gaining access to dam control rooms by force, I seriously doubt this would be done by legal GWCL holders. The gun ban isn't going to prevent that.

This Corps of Engineers gun ban has stuck in my craw for many, many years. It's so freakin' childish. COE ramps can be dangerous places early in the morning, and not just from 2 legged critters. I know of a guide who has launched at a GA lake early in the morning and have had Black Bears charge across the ramp area. No attacks or anything (the bear was probably more freaked out than he was), but he climbed in the boat and waited until the coast was clear.

I comply with the ban on COE lakes because the penalties can be so severe, but there are a lot of times I've seen folks in vehicles cruising these ramp areas early in the morning, turn around and leave once they see someone is watching, and it's obvious they aren't there to go fishing. At these times I feel weird not having a weapon on me. Especially when I'm fishing the area where James Dickey had his moonshiner encounter that sparked him to write "Deliverance". :D

Yeah, time for this stupid COE law to be reversed once and for all. It's long overdue. There, I feel better now - pardon my rant.
No you idiot, it's to keep a licensed concealed carrier from suddenly charging the dam's control center and pushing the lighted, red self-destruct button that all dams are equipped with. Do you even READ comics, brah?!?

:rolleyes:

No you idiot, it's to keep a licensed concealed carrier from suddenly charging the dam's control center and pushing the lighted, red self-destruct button that all dams are equipped with. Do you even READ comics, brah?!?

:rolleyes:

Oh, do you mean this one? I forgot every dam had one.

Attachments

• button.png
    button.png
    303.7 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom