• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So I got a puppy...

Yep, outside frequently. Went through it early last year with a new pup. Just got to keep taking them out so they get in the habit of doing their biz outside.

Another big thing is to make sure to clean up the piss inside really good so they don't smell it and keep doing it. Windex with ammonia or vinegar water mix
I agree to clean up inside really well to get the urine/poop scent out so the pup does not continue to eliminate where the scent is present.
I read somewhere not to use ammonia based products, urea can break down to ammonia and ammonia can smell like urine to a pup.
You are a good man to adopt from the humane society.

Like others have said, crate train. Take him to the door, ask if he needs to go out and then “What do you say?”. Then bark so he knows you want him to bark. Mine was about 95% after about 6-7 months of age and we got him at 8 weeks. Now he doesnt think twice about doing any business inside and barks once when he goes to the door. Then he sits patiently until someone lets him out.

That's a cute pup! Congrats! Take him outside often and pee in front of him. Give him a treat when he does it. Crate train. He will get the picture. Right now he can smell when you pee inside. Makes him think he is following pack leader example. He doesnt understand toilets :).

Edit.....the other comments about cleaning are extremely important.

I have a 6 month beagle pup that we are struggling with. Crate training doesn't work, he will pee right in his crate and doesn't see to mind it.

He's such a cool dog, but I think he's retarded or something...

Back
Top Bottom