• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So I have an 80% lower

Question... do I have to do the work myself? Meaning, if someone has a jig and knows how to do it... can I have them do it for me, or to be legal do I have to be the one to "finish it"?

I am looking for the easiest way to complete this, but I do want to make sure I am on the right side of the law.

Stop asking stupid questions on the Internet. If you are not the one who finishes it who the **** would ever know?

Also just buy a lower if you don't want to be the one to fish the 80%er they are 40 bucks and run no risk of ****ing it up.

Stop asking stupid questions on the Internet. If you are not the one who finishes it who the **** would ever know?

Also just buy a lower if you don't want to be the one to fish the 80%er they are 40 bucks and run no risk of ****ing it up.

It was a simple question, dude. I already have the 80% lower, so it was more of a question of if it is worth the time and effort to finish it, or just keep using Andersons and keep the 80% as a paper weight.

From the responses, it seems like it probably isn't worth the effort or hassle.

It was a simple question, dude. I already have the 80% lower, so it was more of a question of if it is worth the time and effort to finish it, or just keep using Andersons and keep the 80% as a paper weight.

From the responses, it seems like it probably isn't worth the effort or hassle.

To sum up everything.
You can legally finish a 80% lower yourself but the way you do it is where people get in trouble.
If you use someone else's Jig just do it yourself and good to go regardless of whether you do it at someone's house or your home.
Jigs and router or equipment is where the real expense comes in but if you have a Drill press and a jig go for it (plenty of YouTube videos on this subject).
My first one took me 4 hours to complete as I took my time and went slow using a drill press (I picked a Rainey day in winter).
Now I can finish one in about 30 minutes or less easy (using a Router).
I agree with these guys that the cost on these 80% Lowers is more than a finished lower but I do it because it gives me something to do and doing the labor myself is relaxing and a hobby.
Also I find these 80% lowers on sale a lot of times and less than 30 bucks so I buy a few and now have a few put away (BTW I do not care that the ATF knows this info as I collect Stamps and they have my info already).
The questions on who, what, when, and where is why I gave the answers above and sometimes folks do not like the answers they get, but I would rather you know the truth than to tell you something that could potentially land you or someone else in some hot water with one of the acronym agencies.
The things I found out were to protect me before I started doing 80% anything and to know the current laws and regulations so when I did finish these lowers I knew what to do.
You do not have to put a serial on them but I do in case it gets stolen or the Po-Po pulls me over going to the range and back and the Barney Fife does not know you can legally make a rifle or pistol yourself that has no serial numbers on it.
All the post's above that I made were using the information I got on the interwebs so YMMV and the laws can change like in California now you have to have a Serial on a 80% before you can buy it and finish it.

If the only question any of you asked was just, can you finish a 80% yourself, then all would be good, but out comes the other questions and BAM here we are.

Disclaimer,
All the info I gave above is for entertainment and not to be used for self indulgence or pleasuring yourself, you can find the same info on the interwebs or on the back of the bathroom walls.
Please follow instructions carefully as to keep from infecting your wounds and to not heal correctly and the scabs start itching, YMMV LOL.

BTW the disclaimer above is not a Joke or is it (sarcasm font off now)

Also if anyone else ask questions on the 80% debate please point them to this thread it will save a little bandwidth on the web (an actual helpful post at the end of a rant).

Back
Top Bottom