• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

so i hit the SOS buttin on my Garmin

Interesting story, but it seems like Mr. Conti was not prepared to handle deep snow in mountainous terrain. I would think that he could have taken the time to find someone who had such experience, a hunter, fisherman or guide in the area that could give him some good advice before he started his hike.

As for the cool reception he got from the Sheriff's Dept. and the two individuals that came to his aid, I can only say that this may have come from his comments in their conversations before they set out to find him. I got the feeling from reading his comments that he felt that they should drop everything and make him their first responsibility, and that they needed to do it quickly and take some directions from him. The actions of the two officers on meeting Conti were uncalled for though, and the actions later by the Sheriff's office in making public his information was wrong and unnecessary.

Unfortunately we hear many stories of people getting lost or injured when they involve themselves in outdoor activities, and when it takes police, firemen or other officials away from their assigned duties, and costs a lot of taxpayer money, the victim is usually scorned. As for Conti, was it really, really necessary that he make that trek in the winter? Probably not, and that is why he will be scorned and the casual treatment by the Sheriff's office will be overlooked.

Poor little wuss. He did not plan his trip and got butt hurt that they didn't make him a top priority. Why didn't he make a fire to melt snow?

Poor little wuss. He did not plan his trip and got butt hurt that they didn't make him a top priority. Why didn't he make a fire to melt snow?
i dont know if i would call him a wuss. yeah i dont think he planned very well.
he mentioned "troubles" early on in the trip. theres your sign right.
but i too think he was more focused on the fact that rescue might not be
all the advertisers say when using these products or that warm comfy feeling
they try to give you is BS. that "hit the button and rescue will be there in no time"
they assure you.
i do think that putting his info out there like that was major BS too.

odd thing is a ton of rescues and lost hikers or people found dead are often very very close
to the trail they wondered off of but couldnt or didnt find their way back.

Interesting watch for sure. I don't own a Garmin but I've thought about getting one as I enjoy hiking and such. While agree that I think he was being unfair to how the cops reacted it could've definitely been better, but as he said the cops have never been trained on search and rescue so it's not really their fault that they weren't completely prepared for what had happened. I actually had the coast guard called on me when I was a kid sailing with someone else in a storm and someone on land thought we needed help and when they came in and put us in their boats they clearly had no training on how to sail or much about the sail boat we were on so I definitely am aware that the people that are often recuing you in situations like this are still just people that aren't perfect either.

I think the best thing to take from the video is that you really do need to look out for yourself and understand that even something that advertises the way Garmin does as an amazing safety tool isn't perfect and you just need to be realistic about your own limitations and rescue expectations

Back
Top Bottom