• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So, I just bought an 18 inch upper with "rifle" gas system?

jeshoffstall

Bear Icon Supporter
Frontiersman
69   0
Reaction score
Please school me if I need to change the buffer spring in the lower? It is a PSA "magpul" lower with a collapsible stock.

Will this run fine, or do I need a different spring/buffer, etc.?

Thanks!!

Run it and see. I know that sounds simple, but that combo has worked for some setups.
Edit and disclaimer : I'm not the local AR expert, but I'm sure one will show up soon.

I don't understand the question? are you planning on using as a pistol? Like the other said, shoot it?

My best translation: New guy to ARs bought a 18" upper (with a gas system, not piston) and wants to pair it with a regular PSA lower (magul furniture).

You should be fine J jeshoffstall . Run a couple of boxes through and go from there.

Many use a H2. Same reciprocal weight as a rifle buffer.
IMG_0282.JPG

My best translation: New guy to ARs bought a 18" upper (with a gas system, not piston) and wants to pair it with a regular PSA lower (magul furniture).

You should be fine J jeshoffstall . Run a couple of boxes through and go from there.
Pretty much this, not new to AR's but have only had carbines until now. I am in the process of building a low $$ predator rifle. Got a PSA Magpul lower on sale at CGP, ordered a PSA 18" upper that has a rifle gas system. Will take it the the range and give it a try, may look for the H-buffer - thanks for the information guys!!

Please school me if I need to change the buffer spring in the lower? It is a PSA "magpul" lower with a collapsible stock.

Will this run fine, or do I need a different spring/buffer, etc.?

Thanks!!
Rifle gas system was originally designed for a 20" barrel length. Based on my experience with a CRANE spec SPR barrel and an 0.0995 gas port, you could probably go up to an H buffer or a Vltor A5H1 like I use. But the wildcard is the gas port size and I have no idea how your barrel is actually gassed.

Back
Top Bottom