• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So I went to the range today......

I've given my brass, to those who have asked for it. If they assume it's theirs and start to take it. I tell them no, it's mine. The last time I went to a public range, I was muzzle brushed a couple times, by a dude with an AK, that had no idea how to use it. I left, and never went back

Beggars can’t be choosers. If you don’t own enough property in the right area to have your own range, or have a friend that does, what are your options when it comes to “tactical-type” training; drawing, kneeling, weapon transitions, shooting while moving, etc.?

A membership to someplace like South River Gun Club, Riverbend, Griffin Gun Club, etc., is an outstanding option. If I didn’t have access to outdoor ranges where I can train, I’d have a membership to Riverbend.......but I’d also use John’s Mountain public range because it’s much closer to me.

Most folks are a combination of cheap, and believe that they don’t need to train......or they feel that going to the local indoor range and blasting holes in paper is all the necessary training they need.

So, those of y’all that carry daily, and refuse to use public outdoor ranges, where are you training at?

Beggars can’t be choosers. If you don’t own enough property in the right area to have your own range, or have a friend that does, what are your options when it comes to “tactical-type” training; drawing, kneeling, weapon transitions, shooting while moving, etc.?

A membership to someplace like South River Gun Club, Riverbend, Griffin Gun Club, etc., is an outstanding option. If I didn’t have access to outdoor ranges where I can train, I’d have a membership to Riverbend.......but I’d also use John’s Mountain public range because it’s much closer to me.

Most folks are a combination of cheap, and believe that they don’t need to train......or they feel that going to the local indoor range and blasting holes in paper is all the necessary training they need.

So, those of y’all that carry daily, and refuse to use public outdoor ranges, where are you training at?
this is what a AK is for..

BINGO!

I'm a member of South River, but that's a day trip for me. I love going there, but if that was the only place I shot I sure as hell wouldn't get very many rounds down range in a year. I'm also a member at Sharp Shooters indoor range and have gone through their certification so I can draw from the holster. They are less than 15 minutes from me, so a slightly long lunch lets me get some practice in.

The reality is, skill at deploying your weapon and delivering a fast and accurate double tap is by far the most likely ability you will need if you ever have to defend yourself or others. Both of those things can be practiced at a good indoor range.

There is no substitute for rounds down range.

BINGO!

I'm a member of South River, but that's a day trip for me. I love going there, but if that was the only place I shot I sure as hell wouldn't get very many rounds down range in a year. I'm also a member at Sharp Shooters indoor range and have gone through their certification so I can draw from the holster. They are less than 15 minutes from me, so a slightly long lunch lets me get some practice in.

The reality is, skill at deploying your weapon and delivering a fast and accurate double tap is by far the most likely ability you will need if you ever have to defend yourself or others. Both of those things can be practiced at a good indoor range.

There is no substitute for rounds down range.

Not all indoor ranges allow drawing from the holster. Many also have a “1 round per second” rule. Both adversely effect the ability to train properly.

I go to an indoor range once in a while, and I have a list of drills that work well in that environment. I usually go to Governor’s, where I can draw from the holster and shoot as fast as I want.......but if that were the only place I could train, I would not feel that my training was remotely close to being “adequate”.

Not all indoor ranges allow drawing from the holster. Many also have a “1 round per second” rule. Both adversely effect the ability to train properly.

I go to an indoor range once in a while, and I have a list of drills that work well in that environment. I usually go to Governor’s, where I can draw from the holster and shoot as fast as I want.......but if that were the only place I could train, I would not feel that my training was remotely close to being “adequate”.
Agreed. My definition of a "good" indoor range is one where you can draw and with no limit on rapid fire.

I don't go to the indoor range instead of South River. I do it in addition to South River. It also means that when I'm at SR I can focus on all the things I cannot do at the indoor range, because the basics of getting the weapon out and rounds on target have already been practiced.

Back
Top Bottom