• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So I went to the range today......

I don't train nearly enough, especially in the heat of summer. But having my own range is such a major advantage. Cost saving and none of the downsides of public ranges. I need to add to it since it is laid out in a straight line without the ability to move very from off that line.

Beggars can’t be choosers. If you don’t own enough property in the right area to have your own range, or have a friend that does, what are your options when it comes to “tactical-type” training; drawing, kneeling, weapon transitions, shooting while moving, etc.?

A membership to someplace like South River Gun Club, Riverbend, Griffin Gun Club, etc., is an outstanding option. If I didn’t have access to outdoor ranges where I can train, I’d have a membership to Riverbend.......but I’d also use John’s Mountain public range because it’s much closer to me.

Most folks are a combination of cheap, and believe that they don’t need to train......or they feel that going to the local indoor range and blasting holes in paper is all the necessary training they need.

So, those of y’all that carry daily, and refuse to use public outdoor ranges, where are you training at?

I own my own range. It’s a berm in my backyard.

Good stuff!

If you don’t have that set up yet I hope you can look at it when you retire. It was a big priority for me. Nothing like shooting out back.

Before I had a place in NC and I drove an hour to go shooting. I went to a private club where I could open the gate and put the range hot. There were rules of course but only members had those privileges and you would get thrown out if you were dumb.

If you don’t have that set up yet I hope you can look at it when you retire. It was a big priority for me. Nothing like shooting out back.

Before I had a place in NC and I drove an hour to go shooting. I went to a private club where I could open the gate and put the range hot. There were rules of course but only members had those privileges and you would get thrown out if you were dumb.

I’m well covered.

Reactions: GFB
Brass holes. My favorite are the guys that use the sleds, trigger pullers for load development, and take 4 minutes between rounds, but refuse to go Range cold more than once an hour.

Brass holes. My favorite are the guys that use the sleds, trigger pullers for load development, and take 4 minutes between rounds, but refuse to go Range cold more than once an hour.

Lol. I do load development. I don’t use a lead sled. It can mess up stocks. I could be put in that class of shooters you describe. Usually in-between groups we all agree on the range going cold so I don’t hold anyone up. Plus it’s an excuse to let my barrels cool.

The load development guys get annoyed at anyone who doesn’t take a minute between trigger pulls. “You’re burning out your barrel, you nut jobs!!” And “stop hitting me with your brass.” Those are the common phrases at the range. Hahaha

My favorite guys are the ones who buy pencil barreled bolt action hunting rifles, proceed to place the barrel on a front rest, run through 5 boxes of different ammo in a mag dump fashion, and then walk over complaining that their rifles aren’t shooting.

The nice thing is that figuring out their issue is pretty quick and rewarding. A quick barrel cleaning, an appropriate rest, fore end placement, and three shot groups get them on target fast.

Back
Top Bottom