• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So I'm heading back...

Had a great day! Got to shoot the Mossberg 930 I tweaked last night ran flawless. Zero hiccups from any of the firearms... I on the other hand made a procedural error (HUA). Slightly rusty... But that can be fixed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 33
Wallace's had his first experience shooting competitively today. Learned a valuable lesson on keeping fingers free of the action on a pump gun. Hopefully he will chime in.

Wallace's had his first experience shooting competitively today. Learned a valuable lesson on keeping fingers free of the action on a pump gun. Hopefully he will chime in.

Yeah, trying to reload a shot gun during a timed event then racking the slide in a hurry...Oops...

I will be saving for a semi auto! WAY to much of a handicap to run a pump. I do appreciate you letting me borrow the 870!! Although myself and 3 others had quite a few locked actions after the heat got to them. With the help of the ground, they pumped just fine though...hahahaha!

Very good event overall. Joe knows how to make some creative stages, thats for sure ;-)

For anyone else thinking of getting into to it though, accessory equipment is definitely a must! Reloading shotgun shells from your pocket gets real old, real fast. Thanks to some great competitors, I was able to run at least a 3/4 full belt for the shotgun stage, and have a couple pistol/rifle mag holders!

I realized just how important it is to practice your reloads too. I saw (including myself) LOTS of unnecessary wasted time spent on reloading. Everyone seemed to efficiently reload pistols and rifles, but the shotguns were the weak spot for most everyone with reloading. FUNDAMENTALS are key!! My brain told me to stay slow and steady, but your hands say fast fast fast!...lol For me, balancing speed vs accuracy was going through my mind constantly. I had a few failure to engages, but I was really trying to focus on clean hits and smooth firearm transitions.

My list of "needs" for the next one.

3 - AR-15 Belt mount magazine holders
2- Pistol mag holders (the ones that hold 2 each) I like how close together they fit
6 minimum - 4-5 capacity belt mountable shotgun shell holders. (Or mag holders for Saiga12 Mags hahahaha!)
1 - Extra wide super durable belt
1- Pair of non-camo cargo pants....long story
1 - Speed draw pistol holster
1 - SPF 75 sun screen aerosol can...I am a true red neck now :-/
1 - Semi-auto shotgun (930, Benelli, 1100, etc..) what ever I find for a good deal
1- Grip tape for my pistol!!!!!!!!!!

Lastly AMMO AMMO AMMO AMMO AMMO AMMO AMMO AMMO AMMO AMMO AMMO AMMO...holy hell, this ****s expensive!

I am sure I am forgetting some others things though.

I have competed in IDPA, and recently became a GSSF member. Looking forward to the GSSF River Bend Challenge on July 13-14. I would like to spectate a few 3-gun challenges nearby to observe first hand how it works... I do see myself competing in them in the future. I think it is great that your kids are supportive Shrek, and there is absolutely not a better feeling.... Wallace, going the semi route is really the only way to stay competitive, and every time you compete, you intake valuable knowledge to use towards your future matches... I absolutely love how the fellow competitors share their experience to assist those who are newcomers... Just reading this thread gives me the itch to come and compete.... God bless you all...

I have competed in IDPA, and recently became a GSSF member. Looking forward to the GSSF River Bend Challenge on July 13-14. I would like to spectate a few 3-gun challenges nearby to observe first hand how it works... I do see myself competing in them in the future. I think it is great that your kids are supportive Shrek, and there is absolutely not a better feeling.... Wallace, going the semi route is really the only way to stay competitive, and every time you compete, you intake valuable knowledge to use towards your future matches... I absolutely love how the fellow competitors share their experience to assist those who are newcomers... Just reading this thread gives me the itch to come and compete.... God bless you all...

Absolutely! The shot shell carriers are great, but I'm thinking the load 2 by AP Customs is the way to go. The Mossy 930 is a capable shotty for a budget. Starting tomorrow it's going to the bench for a build up... A bit of an"Ogre-ize". The function is really quite nice, but I'm going to speed up the cyclic rate, and open up the feed port. Like Wallace's said, reloading the shotgun is awkward enough mechanics to begin with. Then trying to do it fast... Gotta work on that.

Above all, we had a great time. I echo the statement, Joe Harris runs a great match and contributes so much to the shooting sports.

Back
Top Bottom