• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So I've decided to look into getting a dog

I would definitely check a local shelter first.
We got a full blooded Yellow Lab from the Lancaster County PA Humane Society that a breeder (puppy mill) abandoned because he was hard of hearing. He had worn a no-bark shock collar his entire life, so long that the hair on his throat never grew back. My sons actually got on the floor and taught him that it was okay to bark...
That dog seemed to sense he was in a much better place with us.
My ex got him when the boys went to live with her, they were teens and into girls & cars and the dog didn't get any attention and died a couple of years later.
I still kick myself for not finding a way to keep him...
Crap, I kind of want a dog now...

I looked at a Texas Blue Healer a while back but could not commit to the time and excnercise it needed to be happy . That is one thing you need for o consider . Haven partial custody of a King Charles Cavelir , she is my only daughter and will risk all for what she gives me in return

Cane Corso can exceed 100 lbs. They were need to be guard dogs. If you liked Pits, you'll be okay.

Older pup will help you get past the chewing, house breaking stage. You might have to help the pup unlearn bad habits.

I'm partial to Goldens, but their shedding would be a no go for you. A Goldendoodle wouldn't shed and I believe is non-allergenic.

the neighbor has a goldendoodle.i like them, but i will get a dog from a shelter. the number of dogs needing adoption is appalling. just the petfinder site alone has 10,000 chihuahuas, 14,000 labs and 17,000 pits.

i love the heelers. they're one of the few dogs ive seen that are as smart as a poodle. my daughters heeler is a mix with a german shepherd, so he has some of the blue merle coloring but looks like a 40 pound GSD.he could open the pen latch by time he was 3 months ny just watching us come in.

short back story is I was divorced back in December and bought a house at the same time. We had two dogs that "were the daughters" even though I'm the one that played with and fed them 95% of the time. Our daughter wants to keep them because they're hers (I'm not bitter about it if it sounds that way-she is now taking care of them and learning to be a dog owner at 10 years old, so that's good).

So I've been looking on petfinder at some adoptable pooches. I like medium to big dogs, and there are plenty on there.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the north side for places to search that might not be on pet finder?

As far as what goes, I have asthma, so have to kind of experience the dog to see if I can hack it (had a pit mix and blue heeler and no issues. Some shedding dogs I have a reaction to though.) Types? 50-100 pounds, young is better, but I don't have to have a puppy.

I'm going to look at a Case Corso this weekend. She's 3 and was a breeders "money" dog and had several litters. does that cause any physical issues, or mental issues I should know about?

I love the attitude of the heeler and would like to have one, but neighbors have big dogs, plus another neighbor has some farm animals (horse, donkey, a couple large goats) and I would be concerned that he'd have to go herd them, given the chance.
We adopted our first rescue puppy from Mostly Mutts. They set up at Petco on Barrett Parkway on Saturdays. We had our Cassidy for five years now and he's just like a child to us. We adopted another dog a couple of months ago in Dalton from the Humane Society. Both are great dogs. Rescues are the way to go!

We rescued a 7 month old Chi-poo from some lowlife ghetto munchers in Fayetteville back in Dec. He's groomed, tagged, chipped, got all his shots and loving life. He's a completely different dog than the skinny, matted up, malnourished, afraid of everything, bag of bones we brought home

Get you a Rudy!
tmp_11634-20161027_152227-1480055103.jpg

Back
Top Bottom