• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So I've decided to look into getting a dog

I'm not sure why, but I stopped getting alerts for new posts, so just caught up from mid page 2.

@Bear44 I appreciate the offer and have browsed their site, among about a dozen others, and spent too much time searching petfinders. I've sent a few e-mails to a couple different places on some specific dogs.

I've settled in my mind that I want to find a Catahoula Leopard dog/mix or a Aussie Cattle Dog, and there are some around me within 50 miles or so. I love the patterns, and just have a thing for camo dogs. My pit mix was a honey brindle and I loved just looking at her and never got over the look.

I found this guy in Marietta. I called and left a message. I want to make sure he's there before I drive down since it's about 70 miles from me. The cracked eyes and mottled merle make his look perfect. He sounds like he's got a good disposition.
https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail...il+lifecycle+aif&utm_content=dog-nokit-032317

I've also got an email in on this Catahoula female. I'm kind of "eh" on a female, but she'd pretty.
https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail...il+lifecycle+aif&utm_content=dog-nokit-032317

palmettomoon palmettomoon

I grew up with a poodle when I was a kid. I think he was 21 when he passed. He was unbelievably smart- you could tell him "get the blue ball" or "get the red ball". He knew the difference. My parents had a load of river rock brought in to put under their sundeck. He found a near perfect round river rock and kept it forever. I could throw that rock in the river rock bed and he would always come out with it. My parents still have the rock.

SOLGardener SOLGardener if you truly are ready for a dog, let your furry buddy pick you. Go to a shelter and let the one that speaks to you the most come home with you. Don't get all caught up with breeds or markings....a true canine companion will come in any shape or size, or even age....

The best dogs that have been in my life are the ones that found me...not the ones I went looking for.

When we went to the shelter we were shown "Rocker", later "Trixie" and she immediately wagged her tail and flopped over on her belly wanting it rubbed. That's all it took really. There were lots of friendly dogs there and an astounding number of pits (on hold for court cases) who were very friendly, but this little 9lb (at that time) mixed breed was matted, had fleas, worms, should have been miserable but looked really happy and content so we took her home. I hope she's forgotten completely living on the street.

When we went to the shelter we were shown "Rocker", later "Trixie" and she immediately wagged her tail and flopped over on her belly wanting it rubbed. That's all it took really. There were lots of friendly dogs there and an astounding number of pits (on hold for court cases) who were very friendly, but this little 9lb (at that time) mixed breed was matted, had fleas, worms, should have been miserable but looked really happy and content so we took her home. I hope she's forgotten completely living on the street.
Our Bichon Frise mix was found living in the woods behind a garbage can with fur so matted that we didn't even see the fish hooks embedded in his fur. He was eaten up with fleas and was half starved...he has been with us for 11 years now and still plays like a puppy. What a great pooch. I was never a small dog guy till I met Beauregard.

I shouldn't indulge her but at night when it gets to be about 9 ish she goes upstairs and will lay on the landing and issue a low "woof" type bark until I come upstairs and either a.) go to bed myself, or b.) tell her it's okay I'm coming up in a few minutes. Either way, she goes and gets in her bed, LOL. I think she's only happy if both me and the GF are upstairs with her at night.

Shelter is your best bet. Don't go searching for a specific breed unless you are trying to become a breeder. I think it is a waste and a horrible abuse to them. The best dogs have a mix of everything in them. They are the best because they weren't selectively bred to look a certain way.

Here is my shelter pup that I got three years ago when he was little more then a year old.
7486faf1a626fc9b9b14296d3df90ad0.jpg
99b09d04fc20ec7cb8cb9c459d0ce4b6.jpg

He took to riding in less then a week and loves it. He is defensive of his momma, motorcycle and daddy (in that order). Just a great mutt.

Shelter is your best bet. Don't go searching for a specific breed unless you are trying to become a breeder. I think it is a waste and a horrible abuse to them. The best dogs have a mix of everything in them. They are the best because they weren't selectively bred to look a certain way.

Here is my shelter pup that I got three years ago when he was little more then a year old.
7486faf1a626fc9b9b14296d3df90ad0.jpg
99b09d04fc20ec7cb8cb9c459d0ce4b6.jpg

He took to riding in less then a week and loves it. He is defensive of his momma, motorcycle and daddy (in that order). Just a great mutt.
He has intelligent eyes....

Back
Top Bottom