• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So just why do they (usually) flute revolver cylinders?

I always felt the fluting was to know where the chambers are when reloading to you can reload without looking at your gun (you are suppose to be looking at what is going on in front of you and side to side,etc.). You feel two adjacent flutes with your fingers, then you know there is a chamber between them both to insert a round.

I for one prefer the flutes. To me, it's cosmetically more appealing. I've got a Super Blackhawk with the normal unfluted cylinder but have always liked the shorter barrel versions with the round trigger guard and fluted cylinder better.

Hard to turn a smooth cylinder for reloading with a bloody hand. Think about it. Blood is as slick as any good oil.

And that's not that uncommon. I can't remember where I saw it, probably a Massad Ayoob book, but I've heard that it's very common in real gunfights to get shot in the gun-hand. Supposedly there''s an innate tendency to fire back at the weapon versus 'center mass' of the person holding it. I know in MAG-40 class he talked about it being a natural tendency to aim for the gun, not the body when you don't have time to think.

Back
Top Bottom