• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So lets suppose...

The officer in that case admitted to having no legal or articulable reason to retrieve the gun. I have repeatedly said there has to be a reason for the officer to take any further action. It may be a small reason, but it has to be reasonable and articularable.

How is it established that the gun and driver is legal?

You check.

Is not knowing if the gun is legal reasonable enough to run the numbers? What if I have a laptop on my passenger seat, would you run the numbers on that as well? I am not trying to fire up a huge debate, but would like to know your opinion.

I am not trying to fire up a huge debate, but would like to know your opinion.

Yes you are... LOL,
You already know (and I just stated it) you should have more than the mere presence of a gun, tool or anything else for that matter.
You should know by now I'm on your side.
My comment was about the statement that the driver and gun were already "established" The original post did not say anything about the driver or gun being "established"
And by checking... Most of the time I simply ask.

How an officer reacts depends on the officer himself. I have had officers go all "hands up!" on me when they saw a holstered gun in the front seat. And others have said nothing when the truck was loaded with weapons coming back from a range trip.

If you're doing everything right, then don't sweat it. When they hand you your license back, just hit the road and smile.

Is not knowing if the gun is legal reasonable enough to run the numbers? What if I have a laptop on my passenger seat, would you run the numbers on that as well? I am not trying to fire up a huge debate, but would like to know your opinion.

Come on drtybykr you know thats not a good comparison. Can you kill a group of people in under 20 seconds with a laptop?

I work with ALOT of LEOs. At times I've brought some of my toys for them to see. Its amazing at how many full time LEOs have no idea of what the GA firearm laws are.
One instance that stands out is when I brought my semi-auto AR pistol for them to play with. One officer says "If I pulled someone over and I saw that in their car I would snatch them through the window" then he goes on to say "But I know you're cool and have the proper paperwork for it"...... Yeah, he was serious. Me and this officer to this date argue about gun laws on a regular basis.

Come on drtybykr you know thats not a good comparison. Can you kill a group of people in under 20 seconds with a laptop?

Maybe I should have said a can of gas. It has the potential to kill many people fast.

One officer says "If I pulled someone over and I saw that in their car I would snatch them through the window" then he goes on to say "But I know you're cool and have the proper paperwork for it"...... Yeah, he was serious. Me and this officer to this date argue about gun laws on a regular basis.

He doesn't deserve his job. He tries that crap on someone some day, he will end up costing the taxpayers a bunch of money. It is officers like that that make law abiding folks nervous around the rest. He is also one of the ones that give the real LEO's a bad name.

Maybe I should have said a can of gas. It has the potential to kill many people fast.

He doesn't deserve his job. He tries that crap on someone some day, he will end up costing the taxpayers a bunch of money. It is officers like that that make law abiding folks nervous around the rest. He is also one of the ones that give the real LEO's a bad name.

Oh, I try and try to get it across to that guy that hes wrong in many ways. As a matter of fact I have some GA codes I've printed out to give hime when I see him again.

The reason I posted that was to bring to light that we dont have to be doing something wrong or illegal to end up "in trouble". Sure you can exercise your right to carry an AK anywhere you want. But dont be surprised if an uneducated LEO tackles you and hauls you in for what he thinks is a crime. You may be in the right, but until you prove it you'll be sitting next to Lamont the rapist in a jail cell.
This is the US where the second ammendment is frowned upon and "innocent until proven guilty" is a joke. Tread lightly my friends. Make good decisions so we are not singled out or harrased. In my opinion, leaving an AK in the back seat in plain view is NOT a good decision.

Back
Top Bottom