• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So, my old CJ’s

Thanks sbrowndalton, I appreciate all the compliments.
Realstudent368, I haven’t found that to be true on starters, alternators and electrical stuff but chassis parts, brakes stuff and the like are good. I source different parts at different suppliers.

There’s different lines- their “lifetime warranty” versions are supposed to be good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There is still a rebuilder in my community. They do good work, a little higher than Advance or O’Reilly's, but I can talk to the folks that actually do the work. All my starters and spark makers go there for their magic touch.

Oh, and very nice CJ!

View attachment 2128065 View attachment 2128064 Starter was getting tired and I decided it was time to freshen up the spin it over apparatus. I’m pretty anal about getting quality parts so I immediately rule out O’ reallys and a few others and try to source a quality replacement. NAPA first and then on down the line. Only available one without special order was CarQuest (Advance)... no problem... normally a quality replacement from those guys if it says “CarQuest”. THINK AGAIN! WTH??
The results just don’t make sense. An ‘ol CJ running around with a Chinese starter ...Damn, just damn..... rant over I reckon

I guess for the last 40 years I have had starters rebuilt at 'Auto Electric' located in little spot called 'Elizabeth' just about 2 miles north of Kennestone Hospital in Cobb County. Had the starter for 1964 Ford 4000 rebuilt there last year.

There’s different lines- their “lifetime warranty” versions are supposed to be good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The CarQuest unit I bought has a lifetime warranty and was reman’ed in China, so lifetime warranty may or may not mean much now days. The lifetime warranties are a sales tool to get you to buy the product with the bet that it’ll last until you sale / trade which in most cases is true and the warranty never gets used by most people. Good quality parts not made overseas are hard to find. I will gladly pay more for a “Made in USA” part if I can find them. YMMV...

There is still a rebuilder in my community. They do good work, a little higher than Advance or O’Reilly's, but I can talk to the folks that actually do the work. All my starters and spark makers go there for their magic touch.

Oh, and very nice CJ!
Thanks! There use to be a place in Lawrenceville that I used for all my starters and alternators called Lawrenceville Auto Electric and Diesel but not sure they are still around. That was years back when I was turning wrenches for a living. Now I just play turn! The mom and pop shops have all but gone history. The ones still around need to be supported as much as possible because it’s a dying art.

Back
Top Bottom