• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So solly Glock. But the Army goes with SIG!

does the military really need a new pistol? how often are they used? seems like it would be less expensive to update the M9's in service. Special Operations are always going to use what they want and they are likely to be the only ones who will use their pistols in combat. The average soldier why would they use a pistol when they have a rifle?
Just seems like unnecessary spending on equipment they don't need when it could be spent on things they do need.

It gets better, I remember reading in the Army times a few years ago, that the Army placed a order for something like, 50,000 new M9's... The Army might be getting the new Sig, but it will take years and years before the M9's go away... Most all of the Army Reserve still has M-16A2 rifle's, I don't see the M-9 going anywhere too soon.

It gets better, I remember reading in the Army times a few years ago, that the Army placed a order for something like, 50,000 new M9's... The Army might be getting the new Sig, but it will take years and years before the M9's go away... Most all of the Army Reserve still has M-16A2 rifle's, I don't see the M-9 going anywhere too soon.

Yup.. it'll take years for these new SIGs to get into service. And think how long they kept the 1911s the CMP is selling 'just in case'...

does the military really need a new pistol? how often are they used? seems like it would be less expensive to update the M9's in service. Special Operations are always going to use what they want and they are likely to be the only ones who will use their pistols in combat. The average soldier why would they use a pistol when they have a rifle?
Just seems like unnecessary spending on equipment they don't need when it could be spent on things they do need.

Pistols are usually carried by officers, not average soldiers. In the Navy they use handguns and shotguns as much as they use rifles. Too much CQB to use a rifle on a vessel.

But the army probably wants the soldiers to develop proficiency with the new guns since war is inevitable.

IMG_2062.JPG

Both companies have other contracts. Glock is bummed but my guess is they have the market share.
A lot of guys from behind the scenes are saying that Glock didn't want to tool up to the level necessary to meet the demands of the contract. Makes sense sort of, since they dropped out of the competition very early.

Back
Top Bottom