• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So, that ad for VA license

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
You've probably seen the threads about the latest fun CCW license add.

It seems it's to apply for a VA non resident license.

I wonder if a VA non resident license be valid in GA for a GA resident, (who doesn't have a GA license) ?

I can't help feeling it wouldn't, but there again, the legal world can be wonderful.

You've probably seen the threads about the latest fun CCW license add.

It seems it's to apply for a VA non resident license.

I wonder if a VA non resident license be valid in GA for a GA resident, (who doesn't have a GA license) ?

I can't help feeling it wouldn't, but there again, the legal world can be wonderful.

You are correct. An out of state license is not valid in Georgia for a Georgia resident. The only time there is an exception to this is if a person has just moved to Georgia and has their current (now) out of state license.

They have 30 days to acquire a Georgia License.

Jerry

Correct.

See Ga Code 16–11-126, subsection “e”.

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2016/title-16/chapter-11/article-4/part-3/section-16-11-126/

This is the reciprocity law, although that word is not used (that makes it difficult to find online with a key word search).

Quote:
[recciprocity applies]”...only while the licensee is not a resident of this state;”

Thats been the law for 20 years.

HOWEVER, a new law that took effect in the summer of 2017 gives folks who move to Georgia a short grace period to still carry on their old state’s license while applying and waiting for their Georgia license.

New residents to Ga coming here from reciprocal carry permit states have 90 days to obtain their GWL.

Per SECTION 1 of HB 292 (2017).

16-11-126 was amended to allow new residents of GA to carry on their out-of-state permit, but only if they are from states that have reciprocity with GA anyway, for up to 90 days AFTER they become GA residents.

(the prior law would have invalidated their out-of-state permit the day they became GA residents.)

Back
Top Bottom