• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So, this retirement thing

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
It seems my working life may be somewhat shorter thank expected, (not a good thing).

Can anyone provide any guidance on finding a retirement planner with experience of helping people in a "close to retirement / few assets" situation ?

I know, I know, I doubt even Walmart will employee me when the time comes, so preparing for the worst......

Best advise, you.

Make a list of what you owe and what you have. Make a budget and see what it cost you to live one in a month vs what you have coming in.

I retired in 2012, have not looked back. You would be surprised (if you make a budget) and see what you need to live on.

A cfa will tell you to do the same and tell you to come back in a month. At that time he will tell you that you need between 2 and 5 million in the bank. That doesn’t work for everyone.
If you use fidelity as a ira or 401k they have a good planner to use and plug in the numbers. I think it is also free to use online without a account. That would give you some hard core numbers without any cost. Then decide if you need to use a cfa. Just a thought and it doesn’t cost anything.

It seems my working life may be somewhat shorter thank expected, (not a good thing).

Can anyone provide any guidance on finding a retirement planner with experience of helping people in a "close to retirement / few assets" situation ?

I know, I know, I doubt even Walmart will employee me when the time comes, so preparing for the worst......
Vanguard.com. Max out all your allowed retirement contributions until retirement (401k, IRA, Roth IRA). Many retirement planners take a fee which will take from your funds. You can do it yourself.

Vanguard.com. Max out all your allowed retirement contributions until retirement (401k, IRA, Roth IRA). Many retirement planners take a fee which will take from your funds. You can do it yourself.

A fine strategy, but does rather presuppose the disposable income's available to implement ;)

A fine strategy, but does rather presuppose the disposable income's available to implement ;)

Not being smart, but if you have no disposable income, there is really no planning to do, other than learning what social programs you qualify for..

Back
Top Bottom