• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So what’s the deal with pre lock?

Pre-lock guns have a different fit and finish that that of current production Smiths. They were made the older way which is not better or worse practically speaking , but arguably they have more pleasing aesthetics. For example, shinier richer bluing, especially on 1930s to 1950s smiths and all forged hammers and triggers. Also, they came with more wooden grip options out of the box. The newer guns are great also, they just are not made with the same processes since it's been decades since the employees of yesteryear made them the old way. The current workers only know the new school space age way of making stuff. There is nothing like a 1930s Registered Magnum with some old school sharp checkered wood grips and really rich bluing. It's just different.

So in your argument, it is less about the lock itself, and more about other things that may have changed at that time? Other corners cut, new materials and processes, etc?

Fair points.

Again, were there no S&W failures before the locks? Smith's had a 100% success rate prior to 2003 or whatever?

Cool, I wasn't aware of that. See, you do learn something every day, right?

There were ZERO LOCK FAILURES, I can promise you that.

So in your argument, it is less about the lock itself, and more about other things that may have changed at that time? Other corners cut, new materials and processes, etc?

Fair points.
Pretty much. Functional standpoint of such revolvers is not of much to talk about. They are about equivalent on performance. The main deal is they are made now with economies of scale in mind and labor costs for mass production are considered. The older guns have more hand fitting and more expensive processes done to them which give them more pleasing aesthetics from a traditionalist's standpoint. I love the older look of prelock guns, but also know the new guns are also awesome and without question are of precision and excellent workmanship still. Nowadays, resources prioritize auto pistols and the like due to higher demand there in general so that is another factor.

Pretty much. Functional standpoint of such revolvers is not of much to talk about. They are about equivalent on performance. The main deal is they are made now with economies of scale in mind and labor costs for mass production are considered. The older guns have more hand fitting and more expensive processes done to them which give them more pleasing aesthetics from a traditionalist's standpoint. I love the older look of prelock guns, but also know the new guns are also awesome and without question are of precision and excellent workmanship still. Nowadays, resources prioritize auto pistols and the like due to higher demand there in general so that is another factor.

See, those are tangibles... I mean, not in reliability or performance, but things you can touch and feel. Some aspects of aesthetics in there as well... Makes sense.

Reliability wise, peoples mileage varies. All mass produced goods given the opportunity can fail. Making calls can be tough. Say placing 500 rounds to test reliability can be debatable. If so, was it better or worse on the 499th round run through it before round 500 was slung down range? This is where mileage varies.

Back
Top Bottom