• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So....What are your goals for this deer season?

Harvest my first deer.
Just bought a rifle.
Researching places to hunt. Prob public land unless anyone would like to share.....
I know the chances of that..
I grew up hunting public land and we filled the freezer every year, watch out for yahoo's and always wear plenty of orange. Do lot's of walking before season starts and scout out some good areas. Remember to always have a back up spot or three!

My goal is to get @Anniegetyourguns her first buck! She has spent a bunch of time in the stand now this is her year for a big buck. She got he first doe last year.
23593587_10210815996498743_3614498841033133575_o.jpg

I want to process my deer myself this year. I'm tired of giving my money to the deer processors. I'm going to take the money I would give to them and invest in my own equipment. Cheeper in the long run.

I don't care for others cleaning my deer, they often won't do a good job and that ruins the taste when fat and hair are left on the animal.

I grew up hunting public land and we filled the freezer every year, watch out for yahoo's and always wear plenty of orange. Do lot's of walking before season starts and scout out some good areas. Remember to always have a back up spot or three!

Back up because someone will be there?

I like the idea of going during the week after dropping the kids off at school. Seems that there would be less people there then but not sure.

I like the idea of going during the week after dropping the kids off at school. Seems that there would be less people there then but not sure.
Yeah because on public land it's first come first served kind of deal, if you see somebody where you plan on going don't go ahead and walk in just find another spot. I've had people walk up on me more times than I care to admit and it sucks. I get there 30 minutes before daylight and at 8:30 here comes Elmer Fudd sneaking through the woods believing he's an Indian an he can just walk up on a deer. It usally don't do anything but spook the deer off and piss everyone around you off. Find a good spot and stay still, movement is what will give you away 90% of the time. For hunting public land I'll stay still till around 12:30 if possible. When everyone goes to leave the woods for lunch they'll run deer to to you. Stay patient and it will pay off. Good luck this year and don't be too disappointed if your not laying them down left and right. Being successful on a regular basis takes time to prefect and learning deer habits isn't some learned over a season or two. Read all you can and you'll do well.

Get in a portable and stay there, if it has good sign the deer will come.Public land is strange. deer figure out when the doors start slamming and move middle of day Get in stay in and buy a whistle, a loud whistle. when Elmer comes by whistle at him and hope he doesnt wanna talk.

Back
Top Bottom