• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So....What are your goals for this deer season?

Just curious what your goals are for this upcoming season. Mine are as follows in no particular order:
  • Help my son kill his first buck
  • I've had 4 people kill their first on my property...I'd like to make that 5 (or 6) this year
  • Take a deer with a handgun
  • Witness the "2nd" rut
  • Catch up and spend more time with my buddy @shotgun 01
So what about you?
- Bambi pitched a no hitter last year (was was out of town for much of the season), so I wanna put some meat in the freezer.
- I wanna take one with my crossbow. Never did bow hunting, so wish me luck.
- We have a hog problem, so I wanna make sure there's pork in the freezer too.

- Bambi pitched a no hitter last year (was was out of town for much of the season), so I wanna put some meat in the freezer.
- I wanna take one with my crossbow. Never did bow hunting, so wish me luck.
- We have a hog problem, so I wanna make sure there's pork in the freezer too.

Where do you hunt at?

shoot one?

i lucked out with my new girlfriend.....she has family property up in the mountains in Suches near the hatchery. only will be me and another guy with his son hunting it. its not that big, but its a sweet little area.

and i found that out AFTER we got together, so there was no bias in that decision. haha!

800 yard power line shot on a 14 point buck I have been following around the woods with trail cams using my 338 Lapua. I like to keep my goals reasonable.

In all seriousness I will be giddy if I even have time to get into the deer woods this season. I will be lucky just to take pot shots at does off my back deck.

Yeah because on public land it's first come first served kind of deal, if you see somebody where you plan on going don't go ahead and walk in just find another spot. I've had people walk up on me more times than I care to admit and it sucks. I get there 30 minutes before daylight and at 8:30 here comes Elmer Fudd sneaking through the woods believing he's an Indian an he can just walk up on a deer. It usally don't do anything but spook the deer off and piss everyone around you off. Find a good spot and stay still, movement is what will give you away 90% of the time. For hunting public land I'll stay still till around 12:30 if possible. When everyone goes to leave the woods for lunch they'll run deer to to you. Stay patient and it will pay off. Good luck this year and don't be too disappointed if your not laying them down left and right. Being successful on a regular basis takes time to prefect and learning deer habits isn't some learned over a season or two. Read all you can and you'll do well.

I can relate 100%.
I have so many stories of captain A holes walking up and ruining my hunt but nothing beats the jerk that waved at me, sat on a log 39 yards from me, took a dump then began to make Sasquatch calls or something.
I wanted to ring his neck.

From that day forward I vowed to go in deep and now I never run into any other hunters when I go on public land.
This season I’m going full Rambo up into the dark sky beyond the clouds high in hopes of bagging something nasty....haha.

My
Advice for dudes blatantly stinking up your spot.
Carry a pocket full of rocks and throw them at their dumb azz.

I'm gonna try and bust a doe with a crossbow behind my new house! If it's brown it's down! Won't be processing either!

I'll cook the neck in a crock pot for deer hash, wrap the backstraps in bacon and slow-grill/smoke them (probably charcoal/wood chips), and cut the hams up for deer jerky (probably freeze in the marinade, then thaw when I want to dehydrate).

Just talked to a buddy at work today, got his number and I'm gonna supply him with all the front shoulder meat he can handle for slow cooking in a turkey pan in the oven.

Got another buddy at work that makes jerky and sells it for $15/lb, (1-gallon zip lock bag) it's pretty good. If I get a 2nd deer I'll save some and give him some in exchange for cooked jerky!

I'm gonna be picking deer out of my teeth well into February! It's always nice to have some jerky to take out in the boat for early spring bass fishing!

Back
Top Bottom