• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So what's the deal with pawn shops and stolen guns? Story below...

The police are supposed to do that for us. If I were to look up every single gun I pawn the time it took me to do so would far exceed the amount of money lost to the confiscations. Plus I am not a police officer I have not right to hold someone till the police get there to "talk" to the person that brought the gun in to pawn in the first place.
In 2016, the number confiscations for my Lagrange Store was .0001%

I'm not surprised. Your place doesn't have the reputation of, well, "other" places in the area.

I love shopping at pawn shops. Especially when their bills are coming due. lol

There can be good deals. I got a Western Field Branded Mossberg 500 at Pawn Express in LaGrange a month or so ago for $100 OTD. Beat to hell cosmetically but it fired correctly. Spent ~$50 and probably two hours doing cleanup and some minor parts replacement and it looks and fires great now. For comparison, I've seen one MAVERICK in this area in the past year in the $130 range, let alone an actual vintage 500. Sure, store brands don't hold the same value but they are identical guns.

Those are the types of guns you usually won't find at gun stores, since they typically cater to people wanting to buy new guns/custom work/etc. Bargain bin is more of a pawn shop thing.

There are many many more guns that are stolen, but the owner had no record of the serial number, so technically it's not reported stolen.

Pawn shops are not "safe havens" for criminals. They are on camera, and they have to show identification, which is copied, or the information is copied.:wacko:

Steal anything that has a serial number and go pawn it or sell it to the pawn store.
The owner reports it stolen, and has the serial numbers recorded.
The Po Po checks the pawn shop's records, there is no doubt about who, what, and when the transaction took place. With a picture of said criminal.:shocked:

Now there are a few "Pawn shop/FFL dealer" wannabes on the ODT, that require all such information which is not required by GA law for a person to person transaction.

Yes, but if you followed along with my story-- the Dekalb police DID NOT identify it as stolen, nor could they be bothered to follow up on it.

They are not protecting you, the crime victim. At least in this case.

Yes, but if you followed along with my story-- the Dekalb police DID NOT identify it as stolen, nor could they be bothered to follow up on it.

They are not protecting you, the crime victim. At least in this case.

upload_2017-5-31_13-57-47.png

Back
Top Bottom