• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So....Who/Where did you learn to reload?

nocman_2

Default rank <1250 posts
NRA Patriot Life Member (Benefactor)
11   0
Reaction score
I found a training class in GA on reloading, but I haven't commited to taking it yet. The reason I haven't is I mainly shoot 9mm and haven't proven to myself it's cost effective to reload.. Where did you learn to reload?

I taught myself reading tons of information, and then helped a couple of friends loading on their presses. Then bought my own equipment and went to it. It's very simple, but you do have to focus your attention on the matter at hand while reloading. If my wife or daughter interrupts me while I am reloading...someone had better be dead or critically injured. I guess I love my hands and face too much to get distracted.

I was sort of forced into reloading back when .38 SPL ammo was over $20 per 50 rounds, and I was shooting close to 1K rounds a month. At that time...I was reloading for about $6-8 per 50 rounds - well worth the time investment.

I taught myself reading tons of information, and then helped a couple of friends loading on their presses. Then bought my own equipment and went to it. It's very simple, but you do have to focus your attention on the matter at hand while reloading. If my wife or daughter interrupts me while I am reloading...someone had better be dead or critically injured. I guess I love my hands and face too much to get distracted.

I was sort of forced into reloading back when .38 SPL ammo was over $20 per 50 rounds, and I was shooting close to 1K rounds a month. At that time...I was reloading for about $6-8 per 50 rounds - well worth the time investment.

I've researched alot in over the past year, so I have a good idea of what I would need to do. Even with that I think I'd like to take the class that Hi-Caliver Firearms offers sometimes. It would give me a little more confidence in my finished product....

I've researched alot in over the past year, so I have a good idea of what I would need to do. Even with that I think I'd like to take the class that Hi-Caliver Firearms offers sometimes. It would give me a little more confidence in my finished product....

If you have researched...just follow the 'recipes' in a Lyman or Lee Reloading manual, and go with it. Start low...work your way up to the stouter loadings. I've made .38 loads that are built to older +P standards (20K instead of 18K), but they get fired from .357 guns, or steel framed guns only. With my pet loading...my S&W Model 64 shoots 1" groups at 30 feet with little recoil and very little muzzle blast. And that loading runs me about $7 per 50...

It is really simple. Find a load in the book...set the dies up for the correct overall length...start by punching a few out. Go to the range and have fun with them. Come home...tweak the loading...punch out a few more. Go back to the range...repeat until your gun runs perfectly with your reloads. Then load up 2K rounds and enjoy shooting on the cheap!

Although as noted...9MM is really not worth the effort unless you shoot a ton of it in competition, or need to dial in the performance of a certain gun.

Dad got me started as a boy but back in the late 1980's when ammo prices rose I picked up a Dillon progressive with 9mm and .45 ACP dies to augment my single stage press. Best thing I ever did.

Bullets can make or break any perceived savings. What usually happens is one just shoots more. Cast bullets are the cheapest but many say not to shoot them in polygonal rifling (Glock etc.). You will save some coin on 9mm even if you shoot copper jacketed but will need to shop around. The best buy I have found is at Delta for 9mm copper jacketed. Prices are with shipping $82 for 1K of 115 grainers shipped to your door, no gas money.
http://www.precisiondelta.com/index.php

Figure about $20+ for 1K primers (if you shop around and buy a brick/5K) and about $20 worth of powder for 9mm. A SWAG is approximately $122 for 1000 rounds of 115 grain 9mm and your time. Is it worth it?

You can pick up 2K cast lead 115 grainers at Missouri for $59 per 1K shipped. A discount can be used if your LEO, active or retired military. So that SWAG is around $99 for 1K of ammo. Cast your own and even less.
http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=146&category=9&secondary=&keywords=

To me it's worth it even if the cost was the same. You can download the ammo and it will reduce wear and tear and increase comfort of shooting or to make some sub-sonic ammo. I never understood why sub-sonic ammo cost so much more for less powder. Or you can upload it and make some real barn burners. Handloading equates to versatility and that is a good thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom