• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Solar eclipse

I can stay with family either in blairsville or highlands NC
But I think the traffic is going to be a total gridlock for hours on end like a hurricane evac

I'm not sure it's worth the hassle for two minutes of dark during the middle of the afternoon

Probably gonna be cloudy anyway
It's rained every day for what , two weeks ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not going. I would if it were only a "normal drive time" of 2 hours to get to the totality zone, but with people from the entire metro ATL area, and those from FL and AL headed to the same area to watch, too, I think it will kill the entire day. I don't want to (and I can't really) devote 14 hours of my time to see a 2-minute spectacle.

I have some welding helmet glass (I think it's #14 darkness.. I might pick up another piece or some of those special glasses next week). I'll just look up and see what the sun looks like at 90% to 98% blockage.

I wonder if I could tape two lenses from a pair of the solar glasses together, one atop the other, and tape them over the front lens of my 15x - 45X shooting spotting scope, to get a better view of the sun during this eclipse and maybe see some of the corona. Or would the remaining 2% of sunlight still be so bright as to render the corona invisible? Or can't you see the corona with a solar filter on your scope, and therefore you must be experiencing 100% totality and use your bare-lensed scope for that view?

Going to Greenville, SC, staying with the former in-laws. Drive Sunday afternoon. Depending on the traffic, might spend second night there and come home on Tuesday.
Carroll county delaying the release as well. I picked up enough solar glasses from the university, so I am all set.

Our schools are thankfully not going snowflake, they have dismissal at noon so kids and parents can enjoy.
My kids of course won't be going at all since this will be better than a half day of school.

If you want to experience "darkness" like it were night time at 2:30 on a summer afternoon, you need to be in the path of TOTALITY.

98% coverage of the Sun is not gonna be dark.

2% of the Sun's direct light shining on you and everything around you will make it plenty light. No "darker" than when the Sun is behind a cloud on any given afternoon

I live in Ball Ground and I think we'll see some effects. I thought about going to Blairsville but then read about what they expect traffic to be like. So, I'm just going to park beside 575 and sell water and p*ss cans to the stuck tourists.

I'm nuts. Going to try to make it up to clayton Monday wee early hours . I'll be within an hour of it.

I'd have really good odds of getting out on time with my wife and kids if I could lure a black bear into the cabin. That'd get em up and loaded in the car quick :-) and on time for once.

Back
Top Bottom