• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Solar set-up with inverter to run a freezer in my enclosed trailer.

SKEETER25

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
150   0
Reaction score
Ok: my entire working life I have been a weldor/mechanic. I am electrically challenged and I need some help.
I want to set up my enclosed trailer to have solar charging capabilties and an inverter to power minimal AC load (small freezer).
I can wire the inverter to run off 12v when I will be pulling the trailer with the truck and the freezer can cycle on/off as required while driving.
When I am stopped for the evening, I want the freezer to be able to pull from a battery bank via the inverter.
Basically, a dual charging system, solar and 12v supplied by the truck to trailer wiring.
I understand there will be a charge controller, battery bank, panels, fuses, isolators and of course an inverter.
How do I wire it up?

Ok: my entire working life I have been a weldor/mechanic. I am electrically challenged and I need some help.
I want to set up my enclosed trailer to have solar charging capabilties and an inverter to power minimal AC load (small freezer).
I can wire the inverter to run off 12v when I will be pulling the trailer with the truck and the freezer can cycle on/off as required while driving.
When I am stopped for the evening, I want the freezer to be able to pull from a battery bank via the inverter.
Basically, a dual charging system, solar and 12v supplied by the truck to trailer wiring.
I understand there will be a charge controller, battery bank, panels, fuses, isolators and of course an inverter.
How do I wire it up?

What are the power requirements for the freezer? Is this something you want to be portable; or do you plan for it to be a permanent thing in the trailer?

The set up will be used for hunting trips to Nebraska and Ohio this year so it won't be a "permanent" requirement. I will get the power requirements for the freezer tomorrow.
Thanks for the help.

The set up will be used for hunting trips to Nebraska and Ohio this year so it won't be a "permanent" requirement. I will get the power requirements for the freezer tomorrow.
Thanks for the help.

For that type of use, I'd go with a "solar generator". Which is really just an all-in-one portable solar kit. You'd just need to have a 12V tap that's big enough to run the charger while you're driving, and it would be plug and play. I have a small Jackey for emergency and camping use; works great. Jackery and several other vendors make them all the way up to several KW.

There's a thread here somewhere with a few other brands that others have that work well. Blueetti and Goalzero come to mind.

For that type of use, I'd go with a "solar generator". Which is really just an all-in-one portable solar kit. You'd just need to have a 12V tap that's big enough to run the charger while you're driving, and it would be plug and play. I have a small Jackey for emergency and camping use; works great. Jackery and several other vendors make them all the way up to several KW.

There's a thread here somewhere with a few other brands that others have that work well. Blueetti and Goalzero come to mind.
DanKATL: Thanks to your recommendation I opted to go with an Eco-Flow solar generator. I have purchesed it, charged it (both via solar and A/C) and it powers the freezer I plan to use perfectly. Thanks for the recommendation.

DanKATL: Thanks to your recommendation I opted to go with an Eco-Flow solar generator. I have purchesed it, charged it (both via solar and A/C) and it powers the freezer I plan to use perfectly. Thanks for the recommendation.

You're welcome! What size did you end up with? And please let us know how it works long term.

Back
Top Bottom