• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Solar Upgrade for Camper/RV

HKMurkure

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
154   0
Reaction score
Hello all. The wife and I are buying a new 5th wheel that is Solar prepped but has nothing installed. I am good with this as i would like to prepare/plan for solar equipment of my choosing. Problem is, I don't know a damn thing about solar. Does anyone have good/real experience with solar in a camper, that they would be willing to share with me?

We are planning on boondocking for a week at a time maybe once per month, while we are full-timing between KOA's and campgrounds, etc. As we are going to live in this 5th wheel for the next year or longer, I want a solar system that will serve our purposes well, etc.

The Ecoflow Delta Max with 2 additional batteries and a gas/propane generator are on my radar. I figure I can "load-up" on juice when connected to a site (that provides power) and top off the batteries. Run the essentials off the batteries and have the gas/propane genny to charge the batteries when needed, etc. I would also like some solar panels installed to the roof, but I know next to nothing on these.

If you are familiar and are willing to share your experience and/or advise, please let me know. I am not leaving for 2.5 months, so I have time to do it right, etc. I understand this will set me back quite a few dollars, but the peace of mind will be worth it.

Thanks all.

Hello all. The wife and I are buying a new 5th wheel that is Solar prepped but has nothing installed. I am good with this as i would like to prepare/plan for solar equipment of my choosing. Problem is, I don't know a damn thing about solar. Does anyone have good/real experience with solar in a camper, that they would be willing to share with me?

We are planning on boondocking for a week at a time maybe once per month, while we are full-timing between KOA's and campgrounds, etc. As we are going to live in this 5th wheel for the next year or longer, I want a solar system that will serve our purposes well, etc.

The Ecoflow Delta Max with 2 additional batteries and a gas/propane generator are on my radar. I figure I can "load-up" on juice when connected to a site (that provides power) and top off the batteries. Run the essentials off the batteries and have the gas/propane genny to charge the batteries when needed, etc. I would also like some solar panels installed to the roof, but I know next to nothing on these.

If you are familiar and are willing to share your experience and/or advise, please let me know. I am not leaving for 2.5 months, so I have time to do it right, etc. I understand this will set me back quite a few dollars, but the peace of mind will be worth it.

Thanks all.
I see they use a NCm battery, and it is only rated 800 cycles to 80% capacity.
I would be wanting LiFePO4 battery. They have typical cycle life of about 3500 cycles to 80%.
A system that is about the same rating in Bluetti AC200 Max. Compare specs.
You will need to mount some panels on the roof. I would recommend an additional few folding panels that you can setup at a campsite.
Check to see how much dc you need. Charge rates are a big deal. The faster the better.

Back
Top Bottom