• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Some observations on the SIG Cross, without a range report

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
While I did run some rounds through the SIG Cross quite a while back at an LE shoot, and liked what I saw, I wanted to touch on some of the features of the rifle instead.

Instead of a separate action bolted into a chassis, in the Cross we have an action/chassis that is combined into a single unit, This should add strength, eliminate any fitment issues between the two, provide for a lower bore, and reduce bulk/weight. The Cross is very slim and light for what it is.

The current production Cross rifles have a 20MOA Picatinny rail for scope mounting.

The MLOK rail bolts to the receiver, and the barrel is installed similar to the manner used in an AR. It has a barrel extension that controls headspace. The bolt has a floating bolt head that is removable. This means that caliber change kits consisting of a barrel and bolt head should be an option soonish.

The pistol grip and ambi-safety are standard AR-style, so plenty of aftermarket options there.

I really dig the cheekpiece adjustment. There are springs that push the cheekpiece up when the single cam lever is disengaged. Disengage the lever, put your cheek on the stock, pushing down on the cheekpiece with your face until you get the exact height you want, hold that position, and engage the lever. Cake n’ pie.

Takes AICS-pattern mags.

The side-folding stock is simple to use, yet locks rigidly into place.

The bolt handle is removable and the word is that options will be available. The bolt itself has 3 large locking lugs for a short throw, runs very smoothly, and has a small roller bearing to reduce the amount of force needed to cock it.

The stainless steel barrels have the tapered shoulder at the muzzle that SIG likes, but come with a washer-like piece that converts it to a 90 degree shoulder if that’s what you want/need. 16.5” 1:10 for .308, 18” 1:8 for 6.5CM, and 16.5” 1:8.5” for .277 Fury.

Dry-firing, the trigger felt crisp and clean.

I wish SIG had kept the ejection port cover they had on the prototype. Oh well.

As soon as I get my hands on one in .308, it’ll go home with me.

6.5 Creedmoor
5A70C942-0A05-4DA3-AF90-53FB4453618E.jpeg

DD813A0A-046D-4CF7-BDAE-76200AEDC0DB.jpeg

B3B6A157-D5DF-416A-8DE8-218AD48DB7B3.jpeg

Been thinking of getting this 6.5. How's the accuracy?

Folks are reporting excellent accuracy with the Cross in 6.5CM.

It’s designed to be a lightweight hunting rifle, and does excellent duty as a light tactical rifle. It’s not your best option as a dedicated precision rifle. Something heavier, with a bit more barrel, would be superior for that task.

I have the .308 and killed my second deer with it Saturday. Great rifle. Minimum recoil. Less than my Rem700 spa tactical 308 and the wife's Ruger Precision 308.
You'll enjoy it.
Senper Fi!

I think stuff like this and the Q are interesting. Same with the remington pistol that I doubt is ever made in quantity, the pork sword, and similar pistol versions. Compact for travel but accurate, rifle or pistol versions depending on your state needs for travel or hunting, and accurate enough for a bolt gun.

I like them. I'm a rare hunter, not a PRS shooter, but do wish I owned something that would throw a serious rifle caliber round accurately enough to 400 yards or so with good accuracy. I would want something light, that fits in a backpack, travels well, etc.

I can't think of a $1k+ reason to do this that I couldn't do with an AR currently, but still fun to think about.

Back
Top Bottom