• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Some stovepipes on first 9mm reloads

Lord snow

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
Banned Permanently
0   0
Reaction score
So I shot the first thirty 9mm reloads I made up today and six of them stovepiped.

All went bang, seemed reasonably accurate, etc.

Is it more likely that a.) the charge is too light (I'm using 6.5gr Accurate # 7 w/ 115gr Berry's RN), b.) I need to crimp (I did not, but I do have a crimp die) c.) some combination of these or d.) something else?

My initial thought was that either the charge was too light, causing the slide not to fully cycle, and/or the lack of crimp delayed extraction causing it to get stuck.

Many possible reasons. You are right that light load could very well be the issue. I personally doubt that lack of crimp is the issue. I also do not crimp many loads. Crimp can cause issues
as well as prevent. If I have good bullet tension I keep crimp very light to none.
I would look to charge weight first.
Have you had feed/extraction issue before?
If not , again look at charge weight.
If you believe you want a crimp I would use taper crimp die not roll crimp . Just my 2 cents. I haven't loaded millions of rounds but it's been a few.
Most failures like this were due to light load or weak springs.

If you are not using a chronograph, borrow or buy one.

You have no way to know what your loads are doing without one.

If you are not using a chronograph, borrow or buy one.

You have no way to know what your loads are doing without one.
I respectfully disagree. You don't absolutely need a chrony.
I loaded privately and commercially for decades w/o a chrony.
You can develop and diagnose load issues to get great dependable, accurate effective loads without knowing exactly the speed of a specific load.
If you borrow one fine, but it is not a critical need to produce quality reloads.

416F6A50-C846-4D6A-B7EB-542AD79BAF9E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom