• UPGRADE UPDATE 3 - More stuff is fixed now. Please check here and report any issues . Thanks!

Somebody has a pair.

BIKER13

Hen of Fame Lifetime Supporter
Viking Overlord
1044   0
Reaction score
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE

We had a stand called the volkswagon seat...yep, seat out of a VW Bug perched waaaaayyy up in a tree...as usual with the 3 boys that built it, they just nailed them big ole tree spikes in either side of the tree staggered all the way up. I hiked to it one morning...looked it over...thought about it...and hunted from the ground!
yep and it was always a long legged guy driving the spikes Had to do chin ups on some of em. Them spikes do a number on a chipper

WinstonSmith

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Garthok Narfler
60   0
Reaction score
Doesnt look like a very thick tree. Windy days are an adventure up there I'd bet. No good shots under or close to you. A bit away until you get a good angle. But, I bet that is one stand you don't need scent control for. Never get busted up there.

THREEJAYS

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
78   0
Reaction score
Never sat in one that high but have hunted one that was about 40’. I also remember back in the 70s every one built permanent stands out of wood with spikes or 2x4 for steps. Lol all stands we’re not created equal

Seabass19x

Default rank <500 posts
5.45 Master Race
21   0
Reaction score
I helped my neighbor top and remove a 50ish foot pine with an amazon harness a homemade lanyard and a pair of old gaffs. I never felt more alive but I definitely won't ever do it again without the proper gear.
I now have a tremendous amount of respect for arborists and understand why they charge as much as they do.
IMG-20210309-WA0001.jpg

Screenshot-20210402-080333-Video-Player.jpg

killerv

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
15   0
Reaction score
my dad used to hunt 50-60ft high, so high he started hitting only one lung when bow huntin, so he dropped his bow stands, gun stands....he still did it. crazy. Id be 9yo climbing some of the stands with him. I remember the first step down at night being the scariest.

That being said, he fell 40 plus feet back in the late 70s, in hospital bed for 6 months. Still didnt stop him. Its just not worth it to me.

Top Bottom