• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Somebody has a pair.

When my brother used to come hunt a lot I liked to get him all jacked up on my strong coffee he wasn’t used to drinking. One morning about thirty minutes earlier than we normally left, he was wigging out and ready to go. Sorry joker shot a buck coming right to my doe in a can. I had no idea he set up less than 150
Yards from me. Later that next week he told me to go hunt that stand he set up that morning and told me where it was. I went and luckily made it in. I kid you not, with four small climbing sticks about three feet in length each I finally made it to the top about 35 ft high in a small pine. I had to stand on the top and almost jump to grab the next one. I lasted ten minutes with the wind blowing and prayed before I climbed back down. I quit giving him the good coffee so he would hang normal stands I could hunt when he wasn’t around.

6B5AA33A-02F8-4638-A33B-7FFDD9041119.jpeg
Not mine someone built years ago

yep and it was always a long legged guy driving the spikes Had to do chin ups on some of em. Them spikes do a number on a chipper

My bro is 6’5” and I’m 6’3”. Not many other guys in the club ever want to hunt our lock ons. We spread our sticks about 30” apart. We aren’t being dicks about it, but if you are able to spread your sticks out that far. You can get 20-22 ft with just 4 sticks. And, good climbing sticks aren’t cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep used to do the same..no one would would hunt mine and a fellow named Ted..can't do it anymore. Almost slid off the roof of the house and feet ended up in the gutter..me and heights are done..:grey:

Lotsa branches to contend with up there OP.

About 40’ is my max….could go higher but not necessary unless your in the side of a mountain overlooking a goat path of a secondary buck trail and need to get above it and it’s the only tree available to shoot from.

16’ ladders feel too low compared to my normal climber height of about 25-30’ where I feel most comfortable and concealed.
When I get on ladders I feel so darn low but it’s a good feeling when deer still walk right under me and I realize I’m good.

I hunt out of 8-10 foot tripods and have had them in the tripod with me. Up close and personal is the way I like to hunt. About 90% of my shoots are 35 yards or so.

Back
Top Bottom