• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Someday I'll learn. Buy once, cry once.

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
Lost the biggest Largemouth of my life at the boat today because of a crappy drag on a POS reel. She made a final run and the drag let go. By the time I got tension back on the line she was gone. At least 10lbs. Not exaggerating. It was on a rig I don't use a lot, so I didn't put much money into it. Oops. :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

This is what she ate. I was trolling for Stripers.
20210903_122919.jpg

If you want a really nice reel that doesn’t break the bank, try out a quantum energy. 150$ if I remember right. I’ve got 6 or so quantum’s between the smokes and energy’s. I’ve got one quantum exo. The exo was a “high end” reel, 350 if I remember right (my wife bought it for me). And the energy is my favorite series of reels. They out cast and are smoother than anything I’ve fished. They’re impressive.

what rods do you run?

If you want a really nice reel that doesn’t break the bank, try out a quantum energy. 150$ if I remember right. I’ve got 6 or so quantum’s between the smokes and energy’s. I’ve got one quantum exo. The exo was a “high end” reel, 350 if I remember right (my wife bought it for me). And the energy is my favorite series of reels. They out cast and are smoother than anything I’ve fished. They’re impressive.

what rods do you run?
I've spent the money on my casting reels and should have done the same on my trolling reels. I'm a big fan of the Daiwa Saltist for my open face and the high end Lews for my baitcasters. I've always got a couple of Abu Garcia 6500c around. They're old school, but you can do anything with them. They're not the best at anything, but they're second best at damn near everything.

As for rods, for trolling I want tough. Can't beat an Ugly Stick. Well, actually you can beat them... and they don't care.

I've spent the money on my casting reels and should have done the same on my trolling reels. I'm a big fan of the Daiwa Saltist for my open face and the high end Lews for my baitcasters. I've always got a couple of Abu Garcia 6500c around. They're old school, but you can do anything with them. They're not the best at anything, but their second best at damn near everything.

As for rods, for trolling I want tough. Can't beat an Ugly Stick. Well, actually you can beat them... and they don't care.
Ah I see. I was thinking bait caster, I’m not a trolling fisherman so that’s out of my realm. Lol

Back
Top Bottom