• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Someone help me w/ 6.0 diesel...

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sith Dark Lord
247   0
Reaction score
I have a 2003 6.0 f-250 turbo diesel w/ just a hair over 100K. It has been bullet proofed w/ the EGR delete, oil cooler, studs, etc.

Here's the issue. It runs like a complete turd when cold. It was having issues cranking a while back and had the FCIM replaced w/ a used unit. This morning it took 4 tries to finally get it cranked and it felt like it had a serious cam in it. The entire truck was shaking it was "lopping" so hard.

Now, I have had issues w it shifting, since the day I bought it, until the transmission temp gauge moved above the bottom line. Coworker said his dad's Expedition was the same way. So, I just let it warm up and take it easy until the transmission got warm. Now it's taking forever for the engine to reach temperature. I normally crank it and let it idle for about 5 minutes before going anywhere, but it's taking about 2.5-3 miles before my temp gauge begins to move. Once transmission/engine are warm, the truck runs like a scalded dog!!

What should I check/look at for the engine taking so long to heat up and the rough idle on cold cranks? Thanks in advance,

And, no @SafeCracka, trading it in is not an option. She is paid for and I do not want a truck payment.

Any Diesel engine relies on four major things to happen (I know there are more but this is just basic). Compression, I would assume that this is good because after warming up all is okay. Now fuel, again runs good at power not to much smoke fuel metering should be okay. Timing, again runs good at power, still could be a issue, but again should be okay.
Look at temp ford had several issues years back with glow plugs, if not replaced prior to this I would check them out the relays and wiring. If problems there that could explain the hard starting and slow to warm up. Then I would look at the thermostat, sticking closed, big problem overheat occurs, but most thermostats are supposed to fail open (yea I know most fail close). If it failed open again no heat diesels need heat and compresson to run normal. That's why old truckers run with cardboard over half of the radiator on cold days. Transmission that a hold different animal, I would think that the fluid is a little to heavy, because when it warms up it's okay. IMHO.
Just a old tractor mechanic, but that's were I would start.

Any Diesel engine relies on four major things to happen (I know there are more but this is just basic). Compression, I would assume that this is good because after warming up all is okay. Now fuel, again runs good at power not to much smoke fuel metering should be okay. Timing, again runs good at power, still could be a issue, but again should be okay.
Look at temp ford had several issues years back with glow plugs, if not replaced prior to this I would check them out the relays and wiring. If problems there that could explain the hard starting and slow to warm up. Then I would look at the thermostat, sticking closed, big problem overheat occurs, but most thermostats are supposed to fail open (yea I know most fail close). If it failed open again no heat diesels need heat and compresson to run normal. That's why old truckers run with cardboard over half of the radiator on cold days. Transmission that a hold different animal, I would think that the fluid is a little to heavy, because when it warms up it's okay. IMHO.
Just a old tractor mechanic, but that's were I would start.

Thermostat was my first thought. But I am not mechanically inclined at all!!

The EGR is what enables a diesel engine to come to operating temperature quickly, one of the issues with deleting the EGR is exactly what you are describing. I understand the delete (I will be deleting mine once it's out of warranty), it's just one of the things that you have to deal with when you delete it. This may not be the issue that you're having, just a possibility...good luck!

I am sure a lot of ops are going to laugh and say not to do this but, when I pulled tdy in Alaska I would cut my diesel fuel down with regular gas. 10 gal diesel (or jet-a) to 1 gal of av gas (87 octane) never had problems with running in cold weather. I AM NOT recommending this, but that's how we got around cold running and starting problems.

Most egr valves are closed until the engine comes up to operating tempture. You don't want a lean mix prior to normal temps, however I could be wrong?

I have a 2003 6.0 f-250 turbo diesel w/ just a hair over 100K. It has been bullet proofed w/ the EGR delete, oil cooler, studs, etc.

Here's the issue. It runs like a complete turd when cold. It was having issues cranking a while back and had the FCIM replaced w/ a used unit. This morning it took 4 tries to finally get it cranked and it felt like it had a serious cam in it. The entire truck was shaking it was "lopping" so hard.

Now, I have had issues w it shifting, since the day I bought it, until the transmission temp gauge moved above the bottom line. Coworker said his dad's Expedition was the same way. So, I just let it warm up and take it easy until the transmission got warm. Now it's taking forever for the engine to reach temperature. I normally crank it and let it idle for about 5 minutes before going anywhere, but it's taking about 2.5-3 miles before my temp gauge begins to move. Once transmission/engine are warm, the truck runs like a scalded dog!!

What should I check/look at for the engine taking so long to heat up and the rough idle on cold cranks? Thanks in advance,

And, no @SafeCracka, trading it in is not an option. She is paid for and I do not want a truck payment.
Does it have a block heater? My 7.3 has a gate valve that cycles until warm, not sure about the 6.0. I thought all diesels ran like turds when cold.

Back
Top Bottom