• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Someone help me w/ 6.0 diesel...

Borrow a scan gauge and run a test. I have he same engine and had a similar problem...ended up being a FICM. Had to have it repaired but I would have never known the issue without the scan gauge. I have mine programmed for my truck which is a 2003 f350 with the 6.0. I would be willing to meet you to let you borrow it and then you can mail it back to me.
I'm in acworth....text me I'm up 404-925-4694

I have 2 or 3 safes sitting at Cabelas up there, I may be able to help with picking up or dropping it back off.....

Thermostat was my first thought. But I am not mechanically inclined at all!!
If you're gonna dabble in diesels then you better pick up a wrench and get familiar with it. Simple repairs like a thermostat are 3X what a gas burner would be at the local shop and more at the dealer. Shops see $$$ when a Powerstroke, Cummins or Duramax rolls up. Especially if mods have been made.

I have a 2003 6.0 f-250 turbo diesel w/ just a hair over 100K. It has been bullet proofed w/ the EGR delete, oil cooler, studs, etc.

Here's the issue. It runs like a complete turd when cold. It was having issues cranking a while back and had the FCIM replaced w/ a used unit. This morning it took 4 tries to finally get it cranked and it felt like it had a serious cam in it. The entire truck was shaking it was "lopping" so hard.

Now, I have had issues w it shifting, since the day I bought it, until the transmission temp gauge moved above the bottom line. Coworker said his dad's Expedition was the same way. So, I just let it warm up and take it easy until the transmission got warm. Now it's taking forever for the engine to reach temperature. I normally crank it and let it idle for about 5 minutes before going anywhere, but it's taking about 2.5-3 miles before my temp gauge begins to move. Once transmission/engine are warm, the truck runs like a scalded dog!!

What should I check/look at for the engine taking so long to heat up and the rough idle on cold cranks? Thanks in advance,

And, no SafeCracka SafeCracka , trading it in is not an option. She is paid for and I do not want a truck payment.
Sounds like the High Pressure oil pump may be leaking pressure back to the sump: try turning on the ignition switch until the glo plug lights go out, then off. Repeat this a couple of times and then crank. If it starts right up, that could be linked to the symptom. A glow plug failure should result in a "check engine" or "check wallet" light.

The boys in Buford can fix you right up.

Back
Top Bottom