• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Someone knowledgeable about early Chinese SKS's

image.jpeg
If you decide to refinish it let me know. I have some wood dyes that work great with shellac or poly.

Looking at the import stamp and rifle, I would say that is one of the "Cave Critter" SKSs that came over right before the "panic". Even though Chinese stuff can not be imported anymore, these sat in Albania long enough to be legally imported. Most all are early Chinese and condition varies from very poor to O.K. Looks like a 1962 Arsenal 26.

Looking at the import stamp and rifle, I would say that is one of the "Cave Critter" SKSs that came over right before the "panic". Even though Chinese stuff can not be imported anymore, these sat in Albania long enough to be legally imported. Most all are early Chinese and condition varies from very poor to O.K. Looks like a 1962 Arsenal 26.

^^^This^^^^

Refinish away as that is some sort of polymer or catalyzed finish, maybe a urethane. It is not original and looks totally incongruous with the finish on the metal parts.

^^^This^^^^

Refinish away as that is some sort of polymer or catalyzed finish, maybe a urethane. It is not original and looks totally incongruous with the finish on the metal parts.

Yep. Now that I know it's not original, I'm gonna come up with a plan for it. I'm sure it's a pretty stock underneath all that gunk...

I'll probably leave the dings in it, as I think it adds character. Plus I only want to remove/restore the finish and not get really deep into the stock itself.

I'll probably leave the dings in it, as I think it adds character. Plus I only want to remove/restore the finish and not get really deep into the stock itself.
Once you remove the finish, you can hit the stock with a steamer to get some of the dings out. It won't get everything out, but it will certainly help.

Back
Top Bottom