• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Someone School Me On AK's...

Again, i was splitting hairs and going just by what I've owned. The mak90 has the best factory trigger and although there is no side mount for optics, it's my favorite AK. Choate stock or traditional wood works for me, just no butthole stock.
As far as optics etc on an AK, well you know the saying
"Nyet!... rifle is fine! "
I have a POSP 4x24 scope on the Arsenal. My old eyes need help. I love the side rail. Repeatable zero. POSP worked on the Vepr as well, but vepr has a 20" barrel, so that extra 200FPS from the longer barrel made POSP BDC chevrons less useful. I have a 3x9x40 Nikon BDC scope for vepr now. Just need to pick up a side-rail mount and rings. Love Vepr's accuracy, hate the weight. Arsenal 107FR and converted Saigas are my go to AKs

Or the 104fr

the cost of mags is what turned me off of the '74. I had a line on a siaga .223 with an canis magwell, really wish i could of snagged it.

I have a POSP 4x24 scope on the Arsenal. My old eyes need help. I love the side rail. Repeatable zero. POSP worked on the Vepr as well, but vepr has a 20" barrel, so that extra 200FPS from the longer barrel made POSP BDC chevrons less useful. I have a 3x9x40 Nikon BDC scope for vepr now. Just need to pick up a side-rail mount and rings. Love Vepr's accuracy, hate the weight. Arsenal 107FR and converted Saigas are my go to AKs

I'll hit you up next time i'm in C'town. I have an AK setup you might like

Man where to start? If you looking for a good starter AK, I say Chinese MAK90, Hungarian, Bulgarian, older Yugo.

Just stay away from anything American, Romanian, Serbian, tacticooled and other peoples half-ass projects.

What's desirable? Pre-ban AK's. Highly collectable and fetches a much higher price tag.

Man where to start? If you looking for a good starter AK, I say Chinese MAK90, Hungarian, Bulgarian, older Yugo.

Just stay away from anything American, Romanian, Serbian, tacticooled and other peoples half-ass projects.

What's desirable? Pre-ban AK's. Highly collectable and fetches a much higher price tag.
Stay away from Romanian? Really? The Cugir factory is renowned as one of the best in the world. It's a war factory!!!

Stay away from Romanian? Really? The Cugir factory is renowned as one of the best in the world. It's a war factory!!!

Yes, some are good but a lot have issues that bothers me. Crazy mag wobble, canted sights, too too much play, cheap quality of steel. Had a Wasr as my first, canted sight and too much wobble. Got a SAR-1 after for a Romanian 2nd chance, was better shot fine but magwell was tight so there was a few mag that wouldnt work. And got another WASR for final chance, and that one was picky on mags. So no more Romanian, and heard of other folks having issues with them after I got my first too. But also heard, some people got luck, with me no more Romanians.

My SAR 1 and SAR 2 are built like tanks, and are just as solid and straight as my mak90. Both accept any mag just fine and neither had canted Sights.
Granted the wasrs ive owned haven't been as bad as people say they can be, but I wouldn't put them in the same class as SAR and pre SAR series Romanian rifles.
Just my .02

Like i said, ive heard some are fine without issues. But through my own experiences, i won't go romanian again. Plus, i collect ak, and not much collectable creds on them either lol.

I went through 5 or 6 "budget" AKs before I finally got an Arsenal SGL21. Do yourself a favor and skip the bull****. Buy once, cry once. Though you will have a hard time finding an Arsenal factory Siaga conversion, you can still get converted Siagas done right, or get a base one and convert it yourself.

Arsenal's SLR series is built on Bulgarian parts, and rival the Russians in terms of quality.

Back
Top Bottom