• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sorting Brass

78Bronco

Default rank <4500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
I have found myself in possession of quite a few thousand rounds of .308, 6.5 CM and .260 Rem all mixed up. I want to sort it out so I can sell it here for guys to use for reloading but it’s almost a task too intimidating of a pile to tackle. Anyone know of a sorter that could be used to separate these three calibers (other than the ones God put on the end of my arms)? Not looking to spend a huge amount of $ on something because this will most likely be a one time deal for me. Open for suggestions! If anyone has such a beast and would be willing to let me use it for a cost (at your facility/home obviously, I wouldn’t ask to take your equipment with me), let me know and I would be willing to work out something beneficial for us both. Too bad there isn’t something like the coin sorters you see at Wal Mart that would work for something like this.

No help on a sorting machine, but maybe a suggestion to get the most out of the brass.

Plan A: Sell it as is for cheap. No work.
B: Sort by brand and sell it for more, which is what it sounds like you are planning.
C: Sort by brand and weight sort with a max 4gr spread in each group. This will mean that not only is it weight sorted, but is very likely to segregate it by manufacturing lot also. Single lot weight sorted brass is the most valuable to a precision rifle shooter, so it would be more work, but you would also get a lot more for it.

No help on a sorting machine, but maybe a suggestion to get the most out of the brass.

Plan A: Sell it as is for cheap. No work.
B: Sort by brand and sell it for more, which is what it sounds like you are planning.
C: Sort by brand and weight sort with a max 4gr spread in each group. This will mean that not only is it weight sorted, but is very likely to segregate it by manufacturing lot also. Single lot weight sorted brass is the most valuable to a precision rifle shooter, so it would be more work, but you would also get a lot more for it.

Thanks. You are correct, your plan B was the direction I was headed with it when I get it all sorted out by caliber.

If they were significantly different in size, there are manual sorters available, but they won't work for your application. 9 from 40 and 45, or 223 from 308 and 300 win mag would be the applications.

Beer and brass! Where do I sign up?

In all seriousness it looks like the case rim diameter is the same for all three. However they all have different case lengths so maybe you could make something like this.
download.jpeg

Or you can borrow mine. But don't forget the beer!

Back
Top Bottom